Go directly to: News & Views | Current Refurbishment/Attraction Closures | Park Events | Discounts/Promotions | Park Schedule/Blockout Dates
For Disneyland's 25th anniversary, the theme was Family Reunion. Nearly 25 years later, the folks at the Happiest Place on Earth have revisted the theme of family with The Happiest Faces on Earth a Disney Family Album.
Faces, which was introduced as part of The Happiest Homecoming on Earth celebration on July 17the park's 49th anniversarygives guests a chance to be the twinkle in Mickey's eye by submitting photos, which will be used in montages around the resort.
Bright and early Saturday morning, more than 1,000 cast members and their friends and family gathered to rehearse how they would create gigantic picture of Mickey Mouse by holding 3-foot-by-3-foot color images of resort CMs over their heads. And at 10 a.m. on a hot, windless day they did ittwice!
More than 1,000 Disneyland Cast Members creating a giant photo collage.
© 2004 Disney. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
Among the card holders: Becky Murphy, Disneyland ambassador to the world; sisters Lorena and Lily, facilities and engineering CMs who have several family members that also work around the resort; Mark, a cast member for 36 years who met his wife more than 30 years ago at Casa Mexicana (now, Rancho del Zocalo); Joey, an entertainment cast member who was initally told sorry, we can't use you, who has now been at the resort for 31 years; Disneyland President Matt Ouimet; and, of course, Mickey and Minnie.
Ouimet reminded the crowd that Walt Disney wanted Disneyland to be a home away from home where they could make memories with friends and family. He then invited everyone to return home this year by submitting those magical photo memories over the next sixth months, which will be on display for the 18-month 50th birthday celebration, beginning in May 2005.
The Martinez family from Portland, Oregon were selected as the first family to submit their picture into the drop box, put in by daughter, Taylor.
Photo info: Everyone is encouraged to submit their color or black and white photos beginning from now through Dec. 31, 2004 to be considered for use. A photo release form is available online and must be included with all photo submissions, along with appropriate contact information (name, address, e-mail and phone number). Participants in the program are encouraged not to send original photos.
Photos can be submitted three ways:
- Via e-mail through www.disneyland.com/photos;
- In person at drop boxes located around the Disneyland Resort (including one at City Hall)
- Photo imagery can also be sent via the following mailing options:
U.S. Postal Service:
Happiest Faces on Earth
PO Box 30464
Salt Lake City, Utah 84130-0464
Happiest Faces on Earth
c/o Data Services Direct
2481 S. 1560 West
Woods Cross, Utah 84087
Not all photo submissions will be used for various reasons. Confirmation emails and letters will be sent in spring 2005 to all participants confirming receipt of photo and, if the photo is used, notification of the general placement of the photo in the collages.
Upcoming NFFC Show & Sale Information
Special Offer for MousePlanet.com Readers!
This is just a quick reminder that the NFFC will again be hosting the World's Largest strictly Disneyana Show & Sale on Sunday, July 25, 2004 at the spacious Crowne Plaza Resort Hotel in Garden Grove, California (about 1.5 miles south of the Disneyland Resort on the southwest corner of Harbor Boulevard and Chapman Avenue).
NFFC will have over 150 tables covered with every imaginable Disney-themed collectable old and new. From classic toys to litho art and PVC action figures to Walt Disney Art Classics pieces - paper and buttons and mini-bean-bag plush and clothing and plates and books and decals and videos and DVDs and music and promotional items and pinsSomething for every Disney collector!
The entry price for the Show & Sale is $6 for the general public, but is only $5 for NFFC members (with valid NFFC membership card), for Disney Company Cast Members (with valid ID card) and for MousePlanet.com readers (who print this information and bring it along to the show)! There is also a $25 early-bird entry for those wishing to enter the show at 10:30 a.m.
The Show & Sale hours are:
- 9:00am for attendees of the NFFC's National Convention .04
- 10:30am for NFFC members not attending this year's National Convention
- Noon - 5:00pm for the general public.
The show and sale closes promptly at 5:00 p.m., so come early.
The NFFC has put together another great National Convention this year. Our 20th - for the schedule of seminars and events you can check the Web site (link).
Mickey's All-American Pin Festival 2 Salutes the American Olympic Team
The Disneyland Resort Merchandise division has arranged for another exclusive pin opportunity for NFFC: ONLY NFFC 2004 20 Years Keeping the Magic ALIVE! Conventioneers will be able to purchase this wonderful pincreated for the second annual Mickey's All American Pin Festival (MAAPF)as will only be sold to those attending the event.
The pin is back-stamped "Mickey's All American Pin Festival, NFFC Member Exclusive, Limited Edition 1,000" and has the 2004 Disney Pin Trading logo. This is the only MAAPF Olympic pin in this limited an edition of only 1,000 pins, and the only pin in this promotion that will be released to a private organization.
Mickey is featured on this two-inch-by-two-inch pin dressed in classic Greek attire shaking the victorious Donald's hand with the 2004 USA Olympic logo across the bottom. Aside from being a very collectable triple collectableOlympics, Disney and NFFCthe pin is also a great way to support America's team as portion of the Original sale price of this pin has been donated by the Walt Disney Company and the NFFC to support America.s Olympians as they participate in the 2004 Athens Olympic Games.
Sales will beginon a voucher only basison July 21st at the NFFC's Convention Registration/ NFFC Club table at the Crowne Plaza Resort Hotel, and will continue throughout the remainder of the week, or until the edition of 1,000 is sold out. This very exclusive pin will sell for $12 and will be limited to three pins per registrant.
Any pins available after July 24 will be sold at the NFFC's Strictly Disneyana Show & Sale on July 25 for $15 each.
Operators are standing by
The Disneyland Resort has started accepting reservations for 2005, including the all-important birthday dates of May 5 (the start of the 18-month celebration) and July 17, Disneyland's 50th birthday.
Works starts on Sleeping Beauty Castle
The postponed refurbishment of Sleeping Beauty Castle is expected to begin this week, and continue through September 18.
Hold your questions, please
The Disneyland Resort has quietly shuttered the information board at its Disney's California Adventure (DCA) park, and reduced hours at the two Guest Relations booths located in the esplanade between Disneyland and DCA. The move has impacted the Guest Relations department schedule to the point that some cast members are asking for transfers to departments where they can get more hours.
The two Guest Relations booths in the entry plaza are shuttered. Photo by David Michael.
One cast member said that none of the three locations were really serving their purpose. DCA is rarely crowded enough that a board inicating wait times is useful, and having a second guest relations locationplaced in Paradise Pier because of the unusual layout of the parkwas deemed unecessary. DCA's wait time board has been relocated to the existing Guest Relations booth in the Sun Plaza.
Disney had hoped visitors would use the two esplanade locations to make same-day dining reservations or to book guided tours. Instead, cast members at those booths spend their days giving directions to tourists unfamiliar with the city transportation system, or playing solitare on the computer terminal. The booths are now open for three to four hours each morning when the parks open, and then 3 to 4 hours in the evening at park closing.
Earlier this year, Disney discontinued the use of Fastpass at two DCA movie attractions, Muppet*Vision 3-D and it's tough to be a bug. Now two Disneyland ridesthe Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbeanhave stopped using the system. MousePlanet reader David Michael stopped by the resort last week, and reports that Fastpass is still in use at the remaining Fastpass rides. In addition, Star Tours and Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin in DIsneyland, and Grizzly River Run in DCA are disconnected from the rest of the Fastpass network, meaning that you can obtain Fastpass tickets to those rides without affecting your elligibility to get other passes.
A cast member tells us that Fastpass will return with the Haunted Mansion Holiday overlay, and that no final decision has been reached about whether to install the system again for the it's a small world holiday overlay. There is still no word on whether the Matterhorn Bobsled will get a Fastpass installation during its fall refurbishment.
Disneyland security officers reject contract.
As we reported last week, Disney called for a re-vote on its most recent contract offer to the security department. For the third time, union members have rejected Disney's proposed 11-month contract.
Got any interesting news or rumors? Contact us here.
Note: Disneyland is progressively closing more and more attractions as the park readies for its 50th anniversary celebration in 2005.
- Sleeping Beauty Castle walk-through closed indefinitely. (No longer listed on park maps or the Disneyland Web site)
- Sleeping Beauty Castle refurbisment through August 3.
- Space Mountain closed through 2005.
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad closed indefinitely, pending results of the DOSH inspection.
Disney's California Adventure
- Superstar Limo closed indefinitely. (No longer listed on park maps or the Disneyland Web site)
- Aladdin's Oasis closes July 30 March 12, 2005.
- Plaza Pavilion closes July 30 March 12, 2005.
- Enchanted Tiki Room closes July 30 March 12, 2005.
- Snow White's Scary Adventures closes August 16 September 10.
- Pirates of the Caribbean two day rehab September 1 & 2.
- Star Tours reduces capacity, as each of the four cabins rotate through refurbishment September 722.
- Haunted Mansion closes September 7 30 for installation of Haunted Mansion Holiday overlay.
- Mad Tea Party closes September 7 - 13
- Maliboomer reduced capacity (2 of 3 towers operating) November 125, January 322, 31, 2005 March 12, 2005.
- Matterhorn Bobsleds closes September 7 November 24.
- Sailing Ship Columbia closes September 7, return date not posted.
- Haunted Mansion closes January 1025, 2005 for removal of Haunted Mansion Holiday overlay.
- Jumpin' Jellyfish reduces capacity January 21, 2005 March 5, 2005.
Disneyland Resort Hotels
- Disneyland Hotel Convention Center lobby, upper level & lower level closed July 16 September 1.
Note: Refurbishment schedules are estimates only. All information is subject to change without notice. To get the most recent updates, call Disneyland at (714) 781-7290.
- 2004 Haunted Mansion Holiday Event Thursday, September 30.
- CHOC Walk this fun-walk through Disneyland park is a fundraiser for the Children's Hospital of Orange County (link). Sunday, October 3. [Note: MousePlanet staff invites all readers to walk this event as a group. Keep your eye here for details.]
- MousePlanet's MouseAdventure quest-and-adventure event a Sunday in October. [Read more about MouseAdventure here, and be reminded of it by sending e-mail here.]
- Disneyland closed on May 4, 2005 to put the finishing touches on the 50th Anniversary celebration. DCA open on May 4.
- Disneyland's 50th Anniversary celebration begins May 5.
Discounted park hopper tickets for Annual Passholders
Disneyland Resort Annual Passholders can purchase 2-Day Disneyland Resort Park Hopper tickets for a reduced rate of $79 ($59 for ages 3 to 9). The tickets are available for purchase through Thursday, September 30, 2004.
Please note that the tickets expire on October 13, 2004, or 13 days after first use, whichever comes first. The first use must occur on the date of purchase.
Some Annual Passholders have received a postcard about this special offer in the mail. Passholders can hand the postcard to friends and family, who can then use it to purchase up to 5 of the discounted tickets without the Passholder even being there.
50th Anniversary Package
If you book a three-night resort stay at any of the Disneyland Resort hotels during the 50th anniversary promotion, your package includes a four-day Park Hopper ticket, a special 50th anniversary commemorative clock and a Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour.
The 50th Celebration Package is available only for three-night stays, with arrival dates through December 31, 2005. The package can be booked through the Disneyland Web site (link), or by calling (714) 520-5060.
The Disney Treasures offer for APs
Annual Passholders can receive a copy of The Disney Treasures book, worth $60, when they apply for a Disney Visa card. The book will be mailed after the cardholder uses the new account. Apply by phone at 1-800-640-5306, and mention card code 26FF.
Car rental discounts
Disneyland Resort Annual Passholders save up to 20 percent on car rentals from Alamo Rent A Car and National Car Rental. Restrictions applyget full details and the necessary discount codes on the Annual Passholder Web site (link).
Anaheim Angels tickets
Disneyland Resort Annual Passholders can save 50 percent off the regular price of tickets for the following home game of the Anaheim Angels baseball team, which plays at nearby Angel Stadium of Anaheim (formerly Edison Field):
- Seattle Mariners: Sunday, August 1, 1:05 p.m.
Prices are: Terrace Box, $12.50 (reg. $25); Lower View Box, $7.50 (reg. $15); and Upper View, $6 (reg. $12).
Although there is no limit to how many tickets a passholder can purchase, you must use mail or fax in the order form provided at the Annual Passholder Web site, and you cannot purchase these tickets online or obtain them at the ticket window on the day of the game. See the passholder Web site for details (link).
AAA-Disney's Resort Magic Packages
If you are a AAA member, you can take advantage of these packages that include hotel nights and theme park tickets, along with extra ammenities:
- Accommodations at Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel, the Disneyland Hotel, or Disney's Grand Californian Hotel
- Disneyland Resort Hotel self-parking and Fitness Center access
- Disneyland Resort Park Hopper Ticket valid for entry into Disneyland park and Disney's California Adventure park with full park-hopping privileges
- Free ESPN Zone Arena Game Card $10 value (one per person)
- Collect Fastpass tickets for multiple attractions at one time.
- Preferred seating at a choice of select shows in DCA
- An exclusive Walt Disney Travel Company collectible pin and lanyard (one per person)
- An exclusive Walt Disney Travel Company California Fun Book (one per package)
- An exclusive Disneyland Resort Magical Pocket Guide (one per package)
Sample prices include:
AAA Disney's Resort Magic: Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel for two nights from $269/adult, $127/ages 10-17, $97/ages 3-9
AAA Disneyland Resort Good Neighbor Magic: Jolly Roger Hotel for two nights from $193/adult, $127/ages 10-17, $97/ages 3-9
These packages require a minimum two-night hotel stay, and are good for travel from August 29 to November 21 and November 28 to December 23, 2004. You can book this package through your local AAA affiliate travel agent.
Disney's AAA Passport Plus Package 2004
If you don't need a hotel room, the Passport Plus Package offers AAA members a discount on Park Hopper tickets, and comes with extra benefits:
- Disneyland Resort Park Hopper Ticket
- $10 ESPN Zone Arena Game Card
- Preferred Seating at select shows in Disney's California Adventure Park
- California Diamond Fun Book (one per package)
- Free parking at Disneyland Resort Theme Parks
- 5-day: $129 (children: $99)
- 6-day: $159 (children: $129)
- 7-day: $184 (children: $149)
An additional handling fee of $10 is charged per mailing address. These tickets are available to AAA members only when purchased through AAA offices.
AAA ticket offers
For shorter stays, AAA offers 2- and 5-day tickets for the Disneyland Resort:
- 2-day adult Flex Passport $98 (children: $78)
- 5-day adult Flex Passport $129 (children: $99)
These tickets include free parking (the back of the passports note the free parking, so you will need the passport with you when you park your car).
The Southern California CityPass booklet includes admission to five separate entertainment options:
- 3-day Disneyland Resort Park Hopper Ticket
- 1-day ticket to Sea World Adventure park
- 1-day ticket to either the world-famous San Diego Zoo or San Diego Wild Animal Park
- 1-day ticket to Knott's Theme Park (includes a free Knott's Berry Farm T-shirt with each child's City Pass)
The CityPass is $172 ($129 for children).
You can purchase the Southern California CityPass with Walt Disney Travel Company packages. Instead of the Disneyland Resort Park Hopper ticket currently included in California packages from the Walt Disney Travel Company, guests can select a Southern California city for an additional charge of $47 per pass ($32 per pass for children 3 through 9).
Note: The Southern California CityPass does not include the $10 ESPN Zone Arena Game Card, or the California package's feature that allows guests to collect multiple Fastpass tickets at once for free in advance.
DCA: Disney's California Adventure
Annual Pass blockout dates:
- SL Southern California Select Annual Pass. Completely blocked.
- SC Southern California Annual Pass. Completely blocked.
- DX Deluxe Annual Pass.
Visit our Annual Passholders Blockout Dates 2004 page to see more dates.