Disneyland Park Updateby Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix, staff writer
Go directly to: News & Views | Current Refurbishment/Attraction Closures | Park Events | Discounts/Promotions | Park Schedule/Blockout Dates
Just a reminder: This is your last week to try to win a three-night Disney Cruise for four in the Who Wants to be a Millionaire Play It! game at Disney's California Adventure park. The attraction's final show is this Friday at 5 p.m.
Fans of Millionaire have been attending during these final weeks, with a number of them taking advantage of the opportunity this past weekend (especially since Millionaire was cancelled for all of Saturday, August 7 to accommodate the Princess Diaries 2 premiere party, which we reported about last week); several of those who qualified for hot seats during a Saturday show indicated their ineligibility to play, either because they were cast members, or because they had been in the hot seat within the past month.
A sign announces the new opening of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire Play It! at Disney's California Adventure park in September 2001. Within a week, the attraction, based on a once-popular TV game show, closes its doors for good. MousePlanet file photo.
Primetime stars return to plug ABC shows
For the third year in a row, Disneyland and ABC display corporate synergy as Disney's California Adventure hosts the ABC Primetime Weekend event on September 10, 11 and 12.
Advertising has already started with banners in DCA, and a presence at ABC's Web site (link). And with ABC coming in third in ratingsskating in above FOX by only 100,000 viewers and listing only three shows in Nielson's Top 25 list for the week of July 26 to August 1the network needs all the help it can get for the upcoming fall season.
A promotional banner for Primetime Weekend hangs in the DCA entrance area. Photo by Alex Stroup.
The Web site provides a page about tickets and reservations. Although there is currently no information there, this may imply that event organizers are trying to boost perceived value by giving away tickets to celebrity Q-and-A sessions or autograph sessions.
Those who feel their bodies or homes need drastic alteration to be accepted by their peers are invited to submit their video applications for Extreme Makeover and Extreme Makeover Home Edition at the shows' kiosk during the event, while America's Funniest Home Videos is also expected to have a booth for dropping off your video (we suggest you not accidentally drop your video at the wrong booth).
The following actors are scheduled to appear in person on either Saturday, September 11, or Sunday, September 12:
- Less Than Perfect Sara Rue, Andrea Parker, Sherrie Shepherd, Eric Roberts, Zachery Levi, Will Sasso, Patrick Warburton
- Desperate Housewives Teri Hatcher, Eva Longoria, James Denton, Ricardo Antonio Chavira, Stephen Culp, Nicolette Sheridan, Marcia Cross, Felicity Huffman
- The George Lopez Show George Lopez, Constance Marie, Masiela Lusha, Belita Moreno, Luis Armand Garcia, Valente Rodriguez
- Lost Matthew Fox, Evangeline Lilly, Dominic Monaghan, Harold Perrineau
- life as we know it Sean Faris, Chris Lowell, Kelly Osbourne
- The Bachelor Chris Harrison
- The Benefactor Mark Cuban
- Complete Savages Keith Carradine, Andrew Eiden, Shaun Sipos, Jason Dolley, Erik von Detten, Evan Ellingson, Vincent Ventresca
- According to Jim Jim Belushi, Kimberly Williams-Paisley, Courtney Thorne Smith, Larry Joe Campbell
- Extreme Makeover Home Edition: Ty Pennington, Constance Ramos, Paul DiMeo, Michael Moloney, Tracy Hutson, Preston Sharp, Sweet Alice Harris
- Jim Belushi and the Sacred Hearts
Note: Recently announced Boston Legal, starring William Shatner, is not officially on the attendance roster at this time. [And as always, schedules and scheduled appearances may change without notice.]
The restoration continues
Overheard on Main Street:
Mommy, when does Disneyland open?
It's already open sillyyou're here!
Oh Then why are the buildings still wrapped?
Sleeping Beauty Castle is now completely wrapped with tarps. Photo by Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix.
The Enchanted Tiki Room is closed for refurbishment. Photo by Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix.
Aladdin's Oasis is closed as part of the Enchanted Tiki Room rehab. Photo by Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix.
New Orleans Square gets another facelift. Photo by Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix.
Disneyland Hotel introduces the Princess Diaries Suite
Press Release, Tuesday August 10, 10:01 am ET
ANAHEIM, Calif., Aug. 10 /PRNewswire/ In celebration of the nationwide August 11 release of Walt Disney Pictures' new film "The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement," the Disneyland Hotel has transformed a bedroom of its luxurious Presidential Suite into a re-creation of Princess Mia's regal quarters. The new, totally redecorated room has been beautifully appointed with elaborate reproductions of the elegantly designed Drexel-Heritage furniture seen in the motion picture, creating a new level of stately, yet fun-filled accommodations fit for any princess or prince. "The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement" stars Anne Hathaway as Princess Mia of Genovia, and Julie Andrews portrays her grandmother, Queen Clarisse. The film continues the fun where the 2001 smash hit "The Princess Diaries" ended, with Mia now ready to assume her formal role as princess.
The Princess Diaries Suite is located atop the 11-story Sierra Tower at the Disneyland Hotel, providing a sweeping view of the nearby Downtown Disney District and surrounding Disneyland Resort. The room features an ornate, hand-crafted queen-size bed and delicate overhead cornice that are matched with a collection of European-influenced furniture, and most pieces are from the original movie set depicting Mia's private chambers. The themed bedroom can be booked separately or as part of the complete 1,320 square-foot Presidential Suite.
"When we learned that identical furniture from 'The Princess Diaries' film was available, we developed a plan to create a Princess Diaries Suite so our guests could experience the setting of this wonderful Disney story," said Tony Bruno, vice president, Disneyland Resort Hotels. "The Disneyland Hotel's overall decor is inspired by classic Disney themes and the royal styling of this special room is a wonderful compliment to the inviting and imaginative atmosphere of our hotel."
The suite's distinctive furniture, provided by Drexel-Heritage, was inspired by traditional, fine European designs, and each piece was formed and finished by hand to produce a classic, aged appearance. Exquisite linens from Italy were used for the bed covers, pillows and accompanying treatments. Two slipper chairs are carefully upholstered with fine silk decorated with tiny images of chairs. A pair of demilune chests are intricately hand-painted with bygone European scenes and topped with marble slabs. A large, French-style dresser stands ready to hold the clothing of any visiting princess or prince.
Guests staying in the special room receive the "royal treatment" in every regard, including complimentary gifts such as the DVD of "The Princess Diaries," a CD of the original motion picture soundtrack of "The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement," a sparkling rhinestone tiara in a presentation box. Other princess-theme items or services can be included for an additional fee. By staying in the hotel's concierge-level accommodations, guests also have access to the nearby Concierge Lounge which offers more exclusive amenities.
The rate to book the Princess Diaries Suite itself ranges from $430 to $515 per night. If reserved as part of the entire contemporary-style Presidential Suite, the total rate can range from $1,400 to $1,755, depending on season.
To book this whimsical, new addition to the Disneyland Hotel, or for more information, call (714) 956-6545. General information about the Disneyland Resort can be found at www.disneyland.com.
Ears to the ground
Disneyland is now accepting Random Selection Process forms for the 2004 Haunted Mansion Holiday event. The merchandise can be viewed at the Disney Gallery Web site (link). This event marks the first time that Disneyland has handled the merchandise selection entirely onlineno catalogues were mailed, and attendees have to complete an online form to request their merchandise. RSP forms must be completed by August 25.
Got any interesting news or rumors? Contact us here.
Note: Disneyland is progressively closing more and more attractions as the park readies for its 50th anniversary celebration in 2005.
- Snow White's Scary Adventures closed through September 10.
- Sleeping Beauty Castle closed through November 23.
- Aladdin's Oasis closed through March 11, 2005.
- Plaza Pavilion closed through March 11, 2005.
- Enchanted Tiki Room closed through March 11, 2005.
- Space Mountain closed through November 2005.
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad closed indefinitely, pending results of the DOSH inspection. For more information about the latest accident, see our BTMRR Accident page.
- Sleeping Beauty Castle walk-through closed indefinitely; not
listed on park maps or the Disneyland Web site.
Upcoming Disneyland closures
- Pirates of the Caribbean closes September 2 for a one-day rehab
- Star Tours reduces capacity, as each of the four cabins rotate through refurbishment September 722.
- Haunted Mansion closes September 7 October 1 for installation of Haunted Mansion Holiday overlay. Closed January 1025, 2005 for removal of Haunted Mansion Holiday overlay.
- Matterhorn Bobsleds closes September 7 November 13.
- Sailing Ship Columbia closes September 7 November 30.
- Mad Tea Party closes September 20 October 21
Disney's California Adventure
- Superstar Limo closed indefinitely; not listed on park maps
or the Disneyland Web site
Upcoming DCA Closures
- King Triton's Carousel closes September 2030
- Maliboomer reduced capacity (2 of 3 towers operating) November 125, 2004, and January 322, 31 March 12, 2005.
- Jumpin' Jellyfish reduces capacity January 21 March 5, 2005.
Disneyland Resort Hotels
- Disneyland Hotel Convention Center lobby, upper level & lower level closed through September 1.