MouseStation 12 - Changes at the Disney-MGM Studios and MousePlanet Watch 12 news feed for March 29, 2007
Reminder: The MousePlanetWatch news segment has been permanently separated into a separate show. We have now set up three separate feeds: one for MouseStation only, one for MousePlanetWatch only and one for both in a single feed. This way, you can subscribe to whichever combination you prefer.
NOTE: We have apparently been having problems with our email form on the site. If you used the email form between March 4 and March 26 and have not received an answer either via email or on the show, please resend your email, as we likely never received it.
Please take a few minutes to complete our listener survey. It helps us learn more about you and what you like most about this podcast.
MousePlanetWatch 12 run time 0:xx:xx
In the Walt Disney World news, sponsored by Small World Vacations, MousePlanet's preferred travel provider, all of the news came from this past Monday's Walt Disney World Park Update, and links to the various information reported can be found there.
All of the Disneyland news came from this past Tuesday's Disneyland Park Update, and links to the various information reported can be found there.
In The Walt Disney Company news, several stories have related links.
- Now that word has leaked out about Carnegie Mellon University's Entertainment Technology Center working on Project Spaceship Earth for Siemens and Walt Disney Imagineering, the project's mini-web site has been taken offline and the link from the ETC's projects page has been removed, leaving just the project logo.
- Roy E. Disney's Shamrock Holdings has invested $50 million in REAL D's Digital 3-D system. Meanwhile, Meet the Robinsons opens this weekend, with some theaters showing it using REAL D's Digital 3-D technology.
- This week's AP story about the possible release of Song of the South has even reached CNN now, even though MousePlanet readers knew the same facts on March 9. For more on the movie, visit the definitive fan site.
- For more information on the Travel Channel marathon of Disney shows on Sunday, visit Kirby Bartlett-Sloan's TV Kirby site. To get his Disney TV listings emailed to you weekly, join his Yahoo group.
- Starz says that Disney should not be selling their movies on the Internet while Starz' Vongo service has exclusive rights.
- The rest of the opening cast has been announced for a href="http://disney.go.com/theatre/thelittlemermaid/index.html" target="_blank">The Little Mermaid musical that opens in Denver this July and hits Broadway in November.
- Raven-Symone was awarded the North Star Award at this year's NAMIC Awards.
- The Scotsman newspaper in Edinburgh, Scotland is raising a red flag on Disney Partyfizz, calling the fizzy apple juice drink that's sold to look like champagne a gateway to alcholism. What do you think? Let us know!
- Meanwhile, a gang of elusive thieves was finally caught after they gave some purloined ticket to Disney on Ice: Princess Wishes to friends.
MouseStation 12 run time 1:40:01
Our short discussion about Mark and his wife taking his son to a Jonas Brothers concert at a nearby mall was preceded by a short clip from the opening of the Jonas Brothers' song "Year 3000". You can buy their "It's About Time" CD here. You can also check out their MySpace page and look at the growing number of YouTube video of the concert.
Our Tip of the Week again comes from Aaron DelPrince of Fishers, Indiana, who recommends getting a multi-day stroller rental on the first day of your trip if you're going to be renting a stroller for multiple days, as you get a discount and you also get to skip the line to pay for strollers for the rest of your trip. Note that this also works for wheelchair rentals, though ECV rentals are not available for multi-day rentals.
In our featured topic, Mike and Mark discussed changes at the Disney-MGM Studios since the park opened in 1989.
While discussing changes at the Animation Tour, Mark recommended Tony West and Dan Lund's Dream On Silly Dreamer as a great description of what happened to Walt Disney Feature Animation at that time. Mark reviewed the movie after seeing it in Minneapolis, and Alex Stroup reviewed the DVD when it was released.
After the podcast was recorded, Mike and Mark realized that, after talking about the park for about 40 minutes, they still forgot to mention such things as the destruction of the World's Largest Hidden Mickey, the installation of the dreaded Big Assed Hat, the Pocahontas and Hunchback shows in the old theater that's now behind the San Francisco Street flat, the early shows at the original Theater of the Stars like Dick Tracy Diamond Double Cross, and all of the parades that have run at the Studios over the years. Maybe we'll need to do a supplemental show somewhere down the line.
This week's Magical Moment came from Pal Jason, who called in from the Magic Kingdom to tell us about a helpful parking lot hostess.
You can get your MousePlanet (or MouseStation) swag from the new MousePlanet CafePress store.
Send in your suggestions, comments or tips via our email form or via voicemail on our toll-free feedback line (1-866-939-2278). You can also make suggestions by replying to this post.
If you want to contribute a story for our Magical Moment segment (and possible inclusion in the Cast Place column here on MousePlanet), you can either use our email form or the toll-free feedback line. (We like when you use the voice mail system, because then we can play it on the show.)
Mark is once again participating in the March of Dimes WalkAmerica event. Please check out his pledge page for more information, or to donate. If you'd rather donate to other causes supported by folks in the Disney Internet community, Deb Wills (AllEarsNet) is raising money to fight breast cancer and Lou Mongello (Disney World Trivia) is raising money for the Starlight Starbright Foundation to send terminally-ill children to Walt Disney World.
This Podcast uses the following samples from Freesound
- By cognito perceptu, construction metal lumber.wav
- By acclivity, CircularSaw.mp3
- By Pooleside, two_builders.wav
You can subscribe to MouseStation from the main podcast page, or via your favorite podcast aggregator.
Thanks for listening!