MousePlanetWatch 33 - news feed for August 23, 2007
MousePlanetWatch - Main podcast page
- Subscribe - Podcast
Run time 0:25:30
Reminder: We have three separate feeds: one for MouseStation
only, one for MousePlanetWatch
only and one for both
in a single feed. This way, you can subscribe to whichever combination
Let us hear from you!
Send in your suggestions, comments or tips via our email feedback
form or via voicemail on our toll-free feedback line (1-866-939-2278). You
can also make suggestions by replying to this post.
If you want to contribute a story for our Monday Magical Moment segment (and possible
inclusion in the Cast Place column here on MousePlanet), you can either use
our email Magical Moment story form or the
toll-free feedback line. (We love it when you use the voice mail system, because
then we can play your call on the show!)
Walt Disney World News
Most of the news came from this past Monday's Walt Disney World Park Update.
- Passholder and Florida resident rate discounts have been released for most nights from September 30 through December 23. A bonus Disney Dining Card of $20 to $100 in value is available for some check-in dates. Contact Small World Vacations to make your reservation.
- Magic Your Way package discounts are also available for those same nights, with slightly different blackout dates.
- Disney Vacation Club resorts will now be known as Disney Deluxe Villa Resorts for communications with non-DVC members in order to help in renting those rooms when inventory is available.
- Passholders will have exclusive access to the Haunted Mansion for three hours on three days after it returns from refurbishment.
- This year's Art of Disney stamps were released in a ceremony at Epcot's America Gardens Theater last week.
- This week's construction news includes installation of a "Facility Package" at the Great Movie Ride, roof repair and new overhead signage at the Transportation and Ticket Center, changes to the trees around Spaceship Earth, Conversion of the FountainView Bakery and Expresso Bar to an ice cream location and installation of launch tube barriers around the Illuminations launch points on the World Showcase Lagoon.
Much of the news came from this past Monday's Disneyland Park Update.
- High School Musical 2 held
its world premiere at the AMC theater at Disneyland's Downtown Disney.
MousePlanet reader Shannon was selected to interview some of the celebrities
for the official Disneyland podcast. She wrote up her experiences in a trip
report on our MousePad discussion forums. The new High School Musical
2: School's Out! show also debuted at Disney's California Adventure last
- A permit has been issued to add to the Grand Californian's shell in preparation
for adding a Disney Vacation
Club (DVC) resort. Disneyland is holding a contest for Annual Passholders
where the winner gets a short-term DVC membership. You can enter
the contest and read
the rules online.
- The Anaheim GardenWalk has
released an updated leasing
plan. The Orange County Register has more
information on the prospective tenants.
- The fun continues in the Anaheim
- While the River Belle Terrace is closed
for renovations, breakfast will still be served at Cafe Orleans. You
can see what MousePlanet readers think of the restaurant in our Review
- Tortilla Jo's is offering
a new lunch special and twilight menu. Tortilla Jo's is also listed in our
- While it's still not official, it looks like this year's Disneyland
Candlelight Processional will be December 1 and 2.
- Tickets for the October 26 Mickey's Halloween Treat have
sold out, though all other dates are still available.
- A Newsweek
article notes the increasing popularity of half marathons for people
who are not up to running a full 26.2 miles. Proving the point, the Disneyland
Half Marathon is now sold out.
- Bats Day at the Fun Park was held last weekend. For more information on
the event, you can check out a trip
report on our MousePad discussion forums, an event
recap at Idolator.com or an event
photo gallery at the same site.
The Walt Disney Company News
- Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment released its list of 2008 Blu-ray
releases. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe;
National Treasure; Finding Nemo and Sleeping Beauty will be the big-name
- The first
album by Jonas Brothers on Disney's Hollywood Records label debuted
last week at #5 on the Billboard Top 200 chart.
- Two weeks ago, the University of Washington issued a press
release stating that videos like Baby Einstein hinder the development
of young children. Disney CEO Bob Iger sent an open
letter to university president Mark Emmert, asking that the press release
be retracted because there was no specific research done on the Baby Einstein
series. Last week, Emmert issued his refusal to Iger in an open
letter. No telling whether or not we've seen the end of this one.
- It's no huge surprise that High
School Musical 2 broke several viewership records, including most-watched
basic cable show ever. High
School Musical 3 is in development, with several different plot lines
- Arguably the happiest viewer of the movie was Anthony Israel of Greenville,
New Jersey, who
won a Radio Disney contest to have two of the movie's stars host a premiere
party for him and 30 of his closest friends and relations.
- You can get your child a High School Musical 2 back-to-school wake-up
call from either Ashley Tisdale (Sharpay) or Corbin Bleu (Chad).
- Disney movies are moving down the charts in the weekly
box office, with no new titles due until late September. Pirates of
the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest will likely drop to number 4 in the domestic
box office this week, though it's still far and away the worldwide
box office leader for the year.