MousePlanetWatch 35 - news feed for September 6, 2007
Run time 0:32:34
Let us hear from you!
Send in your suggestions, comments or tips via our email feedback form or via voicemail on our toll-free feedback line (1-866-939-2278). You can also make suggestions by replying to this post.
If you want to contribute a story for our Monday Magical Moment segment (and possible inclusion in the Cast Place column here on MousePlanet), you can either use our email Magical Moment story form or the toll-free feedback line. (We love it when you use the voice mail system, because then we can play your call on the show!)
We're trying something new this week, with Mark and Mike discussing the news instead of Mark just reading it. Let us know what you think of it!
Walt Disney World News
- Disney's Old Key West Resort will offer a lease extension to Disney Vacation Club members with ownership interests there, but many questions remain. Join the ongoing discussion on our MousePad discussion forums.
- We've restructured the MousePad theme park discussion forums. Check them out and let us know what you think!
- MouseFest registration is now open! Join us there! (Check out our MouseFest information page.) MouseFest also has a great deal on special room rates with the Swan and Dolphin during the event. Also, consider filling out the MouseFest pre-arrival survey.
- US Airways has joined the resort check-in portion of Disney's Magical Express. Southwest is the only major domestic carrier still not participating, and hopes to have an agreement by early next year. They're also hoping to have at least some international flights ready to go by the end of the year.
- The Backlot Theater will be demolished, according to paperwork filed with Orange County. What will happen to the location that was once home to the Spirit of Pocahontas and Hunchback of Notre Dame stage shows is anybody's guess, but there have been rumors of an additional expansion behind the Muppet Theater area.
- Walt Disney World has raised parking fees by one dollar across the board.
- Dates have been announced for the 2008 Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival: March 19 - June 1, the longest-ever festival by 15 days.
This and other news can be found in this week's Walt Disney World Park Update (it was published on Tuesday this week due to Labor Day).
- The Disneyland Half Marathon was held Monday, September 3 at the Disneyland Resort. Results are posted on the official Disneyland Half Marathon web site.
- Disney has finally posted the holiday season park hours and entertainment schedules for the Disneyland Resort on the Disneyland.com web site, and some events are starting later this year.
- The Cartoon Art Museum will present the Fourth Annual Benefit at Pixar Animation Studios on Saturday, September 15, 2007.
- Andrew also reported on the restructuring of the MousePad theme park discussion forums.
- This 'n' That:
- Indiana Jones Adventure was closed for three days last week so that some of the ride's speakers could be replaced.
- Los Angeles radio station KLAC is hosting a special listener event at Disneyland on Sunday, September 9.
- Tickets for the Happiest Haunts tour go on sale on September 21, and the tour will only be offered Monday through Thursday. Last week's information was incorrect.
- The latest version of Honda's ASIMO humanoid robot is now on display inside Innoventions at Disneyland.
- Disney will staff and operate two hotels at GardenWalk near Disneyland.
- The Grand Californian Hotel's Napa Rose restaurant has been awarded the 2007 DiRoNA Award of Excellence for the second time.
- Mickey's Halloween Treat at Disney's California Adventure is now sold out for Friday, October 19.
This and other news can be found in this week's Disneyland Park Update (it was published on Tuesday this week due to Labor Day).
The Walt Disney Company News
- Disney is launching Jetix on a new video-on-demand service in Singapore, using a new IPTV network.
- Nick Valenti and Joachim Splichal of the Patina Restaurant Group have acquired the Smith & Wollensky Restaurant Group. No confirmation yet on whether the two companies will be merged, or whether Smith & Wollensky will now make an appearance at one of the Downtown Disney locations.
- The Children's Place announced another amendment to its agreement with The Walt Disney Company, following the chain once again missing their deadlines for remodeling the Disney Stores. One of the interesting clauses would allow Disney to move its flagship World of Disney store in Manhattan. No information is currently available on what they might be planning.
- The Cheetah Girls will be releasing a new album, "TCG," on September 25. It came as no surprise, since Radio Disney has suddenly started playing Cheetah Girls songs again after they had disappeared for a while. That's straight from the Disney playbook, as they had just done the same thing with songs from "High School Musical" and its various stars.
- Underdog did better than the preliminary numbers that we had at recording time indicated, finishing in 14th place for the three-day weekend with a take of nearly $1.69 million. Underdog and Miramax's Becoming Jane both did better over the four-day weekend than the early numbers, as well. After four weeks, Underdog is a few hundred dollars short of $40 million and Becoming Jane is over $15.7 million. Ratatouille is over $201 million in 10 weeks.
We've gotten a lot of positive feedback on the new format of shorter, more frequent MouseStation shows. Currently, MouseStation is published three times a week, with short subjects on Mondays, featured topics on Wednesdays and listener feedback on Fridays; the MousePlanetWatch news is published on Thursday. We're still currently maintaining the series of three feeds, one for MouseStation only, one for MousePlanetWatch only and one for both shows.
Based on listener feedback, we will be deciding whether to merge the feeds, and return to a single feed with all shows, folding MousePlanetWatch into the main MouseStation feed. That would still leave us with four shows per week, but there would be only one feed. With the current listener numbers being fairly even between MouseStation and MousePlanetWatch, it seems as if there's a great deal of overlap between the shows.
Please weigh in on the idea of returning to a single feed via email or by calling our toll-free feedback line at 1-866-939-2278. Don't forget that we love voicemails because then we can put your voice on the show!
Don't forget that you've only got two weeks from tomorrow to get your entry in for our Owner's Locker contest!
We also wanted to remind you that we have now scheduled our MouseFest meet for the podcasts. The MouseStation Hustle-tini Meet will begin at 5:30 p.m. at Classic Concoctions in the Everything Pop food court at Disney's Pop Century Resort for Bluetinis to get our nerve up to get up and boogie. We'll make sure that we're in the lobby before 6 p.m. so that we can do The Hustle, then return to Classic Concoctions or elsewhere to record some more for the podcast. For more information on the Hustle-tini or any other MousePlanet-sponsored meet at MouseFest, check out our MouseFest information page.
Please take a few minutes to complete our listener survey. It helps us learn more about you and what you like most about this podcast.
Don't forget to go to the iTunes podcast directory and give us a good rating!
Thanks to our West Coast correspondent Andrew Rich, and audio engineer and sound editor Steven Ng.
Thank you for listening!
Subscribe to the podcast