MouseStation 74 - MousePlanetWatch news
show - Main podcast page - Subscribe
Run time 0:38:48
If you'd rather pop up our podcast radio player into a separate window so
that you can continue browsing MousePlanet in this window, click
here. (NOTE: Our podcast radio requires Adobe Flash Player. You can dowload
the player here.)
Let us hear from you!
Send in your suggestions, comments or tips via our email feedback
form or via voicemail on our toll-free feedback line (1-866-939-2278).
You can also make suggestions by replying to this post.
If you want to contribute a story for our Monday Magical Moment segment (and
possible inclusion in the Cast Place column here on MousePlanet), you can
either use our email Magical Moment story
form or the toll-free feedback line. (We love it when you use the voice
mail system, because then we can play your call on the show!)
Walt Disney World News
- Advocates for
the disabled are fighting to
convince Disney to allow those who use Segways to get around to use
them in the theme parks.
- The contract for the 8,000 part-timers represented by the Service Trades
Council Union was settled
much more quickly and quietly than that for the 21,000 full-timers
represented by the union.
- Kerri MacPherson and Tameka Chianti Newman have been selected as the 2008
Walt Disney World Ambassador team.
- The lineup of celebrities
for the Super Soap Weekend at the Disney-MGM Studios on November 10-11 has
- Five pairs of red-cockaded
woodpeckers were released into the Disney Wilderness Preserve as part
of an effort to help the birds recolonize Central Florida.
- Construction Updates:
- Demolition and reconstruction of the interior of the Main Street Cinemas
seems to spell the end for the Virtual Magic Kingdom center.
- New parade storage facilities are being built at the Magic Kingdom
and Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- New kitchen equipment is being installed at Tamu Tamu Refreshments.
- New pizza ovens are being installed in the second floor kitchen at
Columbia Harbour House. In Monday's Park Update, we wondered what Harbour
House was doing with pizza ovens when they don't serve pizza there.
We subsequently received information that the pizzas were for sale at
the Liberty Square Market, with further information that Mickey waffles
are now available at Sleepy Hollow Refreshments.
- Quick takes:
- Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party sold out on Halloween night.
Other nights are going fast, so get your tickets soon.
- Both Teppan Edo and Tokyo Dining opened at the Japan pavilion last
week. Make your reservations now.
- The quick-service portion of Yak & Yeti Restaurant will be called
Yak & Yeti Market.
- Ground has been broken on the T-Rex Restaurant location at Downtown
- Brian Piasecki is following Anette Grecchi Gray as executive chef
at Jiko - The Cooking Place. Grecchi Gray left to take a position with
Carlson Cos., owner of T.G.I. Friday's and other brands.
- In news breaking since Monday's Update, we received answers (or, largely,
non-answers) to the questions that we had posed to the Disney Vacation Club
regarding the lease extension at the Old Key West Resort.
- Can those who elect not to extend their ownership interest change
their mind and repurchase their extra 15 years from DVD later on? Members
are being give the option to add on to their membership or not at this
time. We do not have plans at this time to extend the offer again. However,
we reserved the right to do so.
- If they don't extend, what will that do to the resale value of the
points? We cannot speculate on the resale value of points.
- Why is Old Key West the only one receiving this offer? This is
our flagship resort and this offer was in celebration of our 15th anniversary.
- What about the rest of the 2042-class resorts (Hilton Head, Vero Beach,
BoardWalk, Beach Club and Wilderness Lodge)? Disney's Old Key West
Resort is the only property where this offer is being extended at this
- Why are they forcing this decision on DVC members (who have about
five months to make up their minds, complete their financing and pay
in full) 35 years in advance? It is a Member's choice to add on or
elect not to do so. Members are able to finance the extension amount
through Disney Vacation Development the same terms we offer for financing
of new purchases.
- Since we recorded the podcast, we received an answer to our follow-up
question: While DVC can't speculate on what might happen to resale values,
you should be able to speculate on the dollar level at which you'd exercise
your right of first refusal, which does have an impact on resale values.
Can you project what impact extending vs. not extending might have on
the point at which you'd use ROFR to buy the ownership interest back?
We really can't speculate on resale value or the dollar level.
- So there you have it, for what it's worth. We'll have that information
in next Monday's Park Update.
This and other news can be found in this week's Walt
Disney World Park Update.
Up until now, we've been summarizing just portions of the weekly Walt Disney
World Park Update on each show because we had received feedback that you didn't
want to hear the same thing that you already read on Monday, so we just hit
the high points for those who hadn't read it. However, recent listener feedback
indicated that you wanted us to run through the whole Park Update, so starting
with this show we're going to summarize pretty much every story in the Update.
(We're still not going to read the complete stories, unless you tell us otherwise.)
Please let us know what you think
of this change.
- As the podcast was being recorded, Disneyland released plans for a massive
re-imagining of Disney's California Adventure. The press release and photos
are online here, and more information
is available in our News
forum on our MousePad discussion forums.
- We've posted the preliminary
results for the Fall 2007 MouseAdventure, which was once again our Biggest
Event Ever. There is a MouseAdventure debriefing
thread on our MousePad discussion forums. You can check out all of the
team photos here. Full results
have been posted today.
- The CHOC/Disneyland Walk in
the Park is this coming Sunday. If you'd like to participate, you can
for the event.
- The Anaheim Resort Transit buses have
released new schedules to include the Anaheim Gardenwalk. It's available
in PDF format on the ART
- The Nightmare Before Christmas will
be showing in Digital 3-D at the El Capitan Theater October 19November
- The Indiana Jones Adventure and Tom Sawyer Island both endured unplanned
closures over the weekend.
- This and That:
- Artist Jim Shore will participate in a product release and signing
event at Disneyland on December 1.
- Pamela Anderson was spotted honeymooning with husband Rick Salomon
at the Disneyland Resort this weekend.
- The Orange County registrar of voters has qualified a second Disney-backed
initiative to go before Anaheim voters.
- Space Mountain will be closed for two days in mid-January, 2008, prompting
some speculation that the "Rockin' Space Mountain" overlay may return
for the spring season. Last year's overlay featured music by the Red
Hot Chili Peppers.
This and other news can be found in this week's Disneyland
The Walt Disney Company News
- Disney CEO Bob Iger, along with other network chiefs, came
out against proposals by Microsoft and Google to use some of the broadcast
spectrum for Internet service.
- A press
release was issued, then quashed, stating that Industrious Kid, Inc.,
creator of imbee.com, was buying out it's lead capital investor, Steamboat
Ventures, which is Disney's venture capital arm. No word on what the final
resolution of that situation may be.
- Disney Garden
will be releasing several different formats of produce snacks for children.
- Disney has apparently made a deal to have the Designing
Spaces TV show use home furnishing products from Disney Consumer Products
to decorate a kid's room on the show.
- Disney has closed
a deal for the carriage of its programs in Latin America.
Spy is reporting that Vanessa Hudgens is going to receive $1 million
to be the face of Sketchers, despite her indecent photo problems.
- There is a new Disney portal for cell phones (go to disney.com
on your phone), which carries some minimal content now and will likely be
expanded in the future.
- .Disney Theatrical head Thomas Schumacher has written a book about the
theater for children. Called How Does the Show Go On?, book explains
what is involved in puting a show on. The book has its own web
site, which gives some background on the book. You can pre-order it
from Amazon here.
- The Game Plan dropped from the top spot at the box office to number two
- The Disney
Legends awards for 2007 were presented earlier this week.
You can send us feedback via email
or by calling our toll-free feedback line at 1-866-939-2278. Don't forget
that we love voicemails because then we can put your voice on the show!
Don't forget to send in your entry for our Owner's
Locker contest by Halloween!
We also wanted to remind you that we have now scheduled our MouseFest meet
for the podcasts. The MouseStation Hustle-tini Meet will begin at 5:30 p.m.
at Classic Concoctions in the Everything Pop food court at Disney's Pop Century
Resort for Bluetinis to get our nerve up to get up and boogie. We'll make
sure that we're in the lobby before 6 p.m. so that we can do The Hustle, then
return to Classic Concoctions or elsewhere to record some more for the podcast.
For more information on the Hustle-tini or any other MousePlanet-sponsored
meet at MouseFest, check out our MouseFest
Please take a few minutes to complete our listener
survey. It helps us learn more about you and what you like most about
Don't forget to go to the iTunes podcast directory and give us a good rating!
You can get your MousePlanet (or MouseStation) swag from the MousePlanet
CafePress store and the brand-new MouseStation
Thanks to our West Coast correspondent Andrew Rich, and audio engineer and
sound editor Steven Ng.
Thank you for listening!
Subscribe to the podcast