MouseStation 111 - MousePlanetWatch news
Run time 0:21:48
You can subscribe to MouseStation from the links at the bottom of this page, or via your favorite podcast aggregator. If you'd rather pop up our podcast radio player into a separate window so that you can continue browsing MousePlanet in this window, click here. (NOTE: Our podcast radio requires Adobe Flash Player. You can dowload the player here.)
Let us hear from you!
Send in your suggestions, comments or tips via our email feedback form or via voicemail on our toll-free feedback line (1-866-939-2278). You can also make suggestions by replying to this post.
If you want to contribute a story for our Monday Magical Moment segment (and possible inclusion in the Cast Place column here on MousePlanet), you can either use our email Magical Moment story form or the toll-free feedback line. (We love it when you use the voice mail system, because then we can play your call on the show!)
Walt Disney World News
- Updated information about the death at Expedition Everest confirms that Jeffery Chalmers Reeb (not "Reed", as reported last week) died of natural causes related to a an enlarged heart and an irregular heartbeat.
- Additional dining options have been added through the New Year's holiday at the Magic Kingdom to help feed the huge crowds.
- The Atlanta Braves return to Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex in February for their 11th spring training visit.
- Walt Disney World was named the World's Leading Theme Park/Attraction in the World Travel Awards.
- There's been lots of construction is going on around the resort, including prep work on the Kim Possible Interactive Adventure at Epcot, rebuilding of the bus stops at loops 1100, 1200 and 1300 at Fort Wilderness, the load/unload walkway at Kali River Rapids and a designation of the site for the Best Friends Pet Resort.
- Quick Takes:
- The midnight showings of the special New Year's edition of Fantasy in the Sky fireworks has picked up an extra night, and is now scheduled for December 29, 30 and 31.
- We've now got a stronger rumor of extra Pirate & Princess Party dates, though we still don't have official confirmation from Disney.
- The changeover from Disney-MGM Studios to Disney's Hollywood Studios is underway, as the Walt Disney World web site now shows the new name and old signage is coming down.
- 11-year Disney veteran Ken Potrock has been named to take over the Disney Sports leadership, replacing the recently-retired Reggie Williams.
- Walt Disney World International Program participants from Spain and Germany visited foreign language students at Rollins College to participate in a cultural exchange.
This and other news can be found in this week's Walt Disney World Park Update.
- Disneyland's first new monorail has arrived, and MousePlanet was the first to have photos of the monorail being lifted onto the track. If you're curious about how the monorails actually work, MousePlanet's Doc Krock wrote an article back in 2001 describing the mechanics behind the monorails. (Yes, the article didn't get converted with the rest of the site, so you'll have to put up with our old color scheme to read the article.) For more on the design of the Mark V monorails that will be replaced by the new Mark VII including a photo of the Mark III, to which the Mark VII bears more than a passing resemblance check out George McGinnis' guest article from 2004 (in our current color scheme).
- The winners of MousePlanet's holiday photo contest have been selected, and the winning photos have been posted with commentary by MousePlanet staff photographer Frank Anzalone.
- The showing of Enchanted at the El Capitan with the added attraction of "Disney's Enchanted Experience" has been extended through January 13. You can buy tickets here.
- NFFC's annual "Strictly Disneyana" show and sale will take place on January 20, 2008. You can get a $1 discount off the $6 admission price by using the coupon on the show flyer here.
- Vons is selling SoCal 1-day Park Hopper tickets for $86 adults/$76 children.
- For a preview of what's going on over New Year's Eve , there's information on the LA Times travel blog. Check it out for information on New Years Eve at SoCal theme parks and a 2008 Theme Park Preview
- Eden Espinosa, who plays Elphaba in "Wicked" at the Pantages Theater, got her start at Disney.l Check out the story in the LA Times.
- There are even more new hotels coming to the Disneyland area. Check out the story in the Orange County Register.
- The River Belle Terrace is now, indeed, officially open.
- 627 Tuba players may have set a new world record in Downtown Disney. Check out the story in the Orange County Register.
This and other news can be found in this week's Disneyland Park Update.
The Walt Disney Company News
- A.D. "Bud" Albers has been named Chief Technology Officer of the Walt Disney Internet Group.
- Disney-ABC International Television has made a deal with Channel One, the Russian state television broadcaster to put many Disney films on the small screens of millions of viewers in Russia.
- Alan Wagner, who served as the first president of the Disney Channel, died last Tuesday in Manhattan.
- Based on both the 3-day and 5-day weekend numbers, National Treasure: Book of Secrets was easily the number one movie for the weekend. Meanwhile, after the 5-day weekend, Enchanted topped the $100 million mark.
You can send us feedback via email or by calling our toll-free feedback line at 1-866-939-2278. Don't forget that we love voicemails because then we can put your voice on the show!
Please take a few minutes to complete our listener survey. It helps us learn more about you and what you like most about this podcast.
Don't forget to go to the iTunes podcast directory and give us a good rating for the combined feed!
Thanks to our West Coast correspondent Andrew Rich, and audio engineer and sound editor Steven Ng.
Thank you for listening!
Subscribe to the podcast