MouseStation 118 - MousePlanetWatch news
Run time 0:31:27
You can subscribe to MouseStation from the links at the bottom of this page, or via your favorite podcast aggregator. If you'd rather pop up our podcast radio player into a separate window so that you can continue browsing MousePlanet in this window, click here. (NOTE: Our podcast radio requires Adobe Flash Player. You can dowload the player here.)
Let us hear from you!
Send in your suggestions, comments or tips via our email feedback form or via voicemail on our toll-free feedback line (1-866-939-2278). You can also make suggestions by replying to this post.
If you want to contribute a story for our Monday Magical Moment segment (and possible inclusion in the Cast Place column here on MousePlanet), you can either use our email Magical Moment story form or the toll-free feedback line. (We love it when you use the voice mail system, because then we can play your call on the show!)
Walt Disney World News
Since the news was quiet this week (but not the parks), we brought you a look at the top Walt Disney World stories of 2007.
- After the show was recorded, Disney announced their Dream CMO contest. We'll have more on it next week, but in the meantime you can read Mark's thoughts in his new blog.
- Congratulations to MouseStation listeners Mike Shearin and Kate Tillan, who won the open and MouseFest divisions of our Virtual MouseAdventure!
- On Monday, the Disney-MGM Studios became Disney's Hollywood Studios. (The reason why I didn't include this in last week's list of top stories of 2007 is because it happened in 2008.)
- Passholder and Florida resident discounts are available through March 6.
- The Contemporary Resort is rolling out iHome alarm clocks, and is presenting the Online Concierge product.
- Victoria & Albert's has now banned children under the age of 10. (For more personal opinion on this, see this entry on Mark's new blog.).
- There's been lots of construction is going on around the resort, including more prep work on the Kim Possible Interactive Adventure at Epcot, the start of work on Blizzard Bach, work on the Kilimanjaro Safaris load area and replacement of automatic doors at the Polynesian Resort's Great Ceremonial House..
- Quick Takes:
- Winter refurbishment work cut over at the water parks over the weekend as Typhoon Lagoon reopened and Blizzard Beach closed..
- The American Adventure closed Monday for its four-week renovations..
- The Caribbean Beach Resort's main pool closed for extensive renovations that are scheduled to take until fall..
This and other news can be found in this week's Walt Disney World Park Update.
- The Disneyland Resort is offering another two-fer ticket offer this year.After the show was recorded, it was discovered that there will be two different ticket types, one that allows both parks to be visited on one day, and one that's one park per day.
- The second Year of a Million Dreams promotion is underway, with the big prize of the Disneyland Dream Suite being given away starting on January 31.
- There's a new Art of Disney display in the exit area from The Walt Disney Story. You can see many of the pieces at the Disney Gallery web site.
- New Indiana Jones LEGO toys are now available and sold out at the LEGO Imagination Store at Downtown Disney. You can have them sent to you when they come back in stock either at the store or at the LEGO web site.
- There are special showings of 101 Dalmatians January 18-31 at the El Capitan Theater. You can buy tickets at the El Capitan web site.
- The annual NFFC Strictly Disneyana show and sale will take place January 20. More details at the NFFC web site.
- The 2008 convention calendar from the Anaheim/Orange County Convention and Visitors Bureau gives you some good information on times that it will be busy in the resort area.
This and other news can be found in this week's Disneyland Park Update.
The Walt Disney Company News
- Two rare pieces of concept art from Fantasia were found over 16 years after they were stolen from the Internation Museum of Cartoon Art.
- The Little Mermaid opens on Broadway tonight. Tickets for the show are already on sale for performances through May 25. Playbill Radio will broadcast a special, one-time only, "Virtual Opening Night" tonight at 9 EST, 8 CST, 7 MST and 6 PST. The original cast recording will officially be released on February 26th, though you can pre-order the CD now. A limited-edition picture disc version of the CD is available for pre-order exclusively at the Playbill Store.
- Disney announced a portion of its Blu-ray DVD release schedule for the year. Also announced was a continuation of the Disney's Magical Blu-Ray Tour mall tour.
- More importantly to the high-definition DVD format war, Warner Brothers (one of the two remaining studios to be releasing movies in both formats) announced that, starting in May, they will stop releasing films in HD-DVD format and support Blu-ray only.
- At the 2008 International Consumer Electronics Show, Bill Gates announced that Microsoft and the Disney-ABC Television Group had come to an agreement whereby U.S. Xbox Live members will get access to select TV shows and movies from ABC, ABC Family, ABC News, Disney Channel, and Toon Disney.
- When Disney/Pixar's WALL/E is released later this year, it will launch with the support of video games on just about every major gaming platform out there.
- National Treasure continued to lead the box office with another great weekend. Buena Vista Distribution came in at #3 in domestic box office for 2007.
You can send us feedback via email or by calling our toll-free feedback line at 1-866-939-2278. Don't forget that we love voicemails because then we can put your voice on the show!
Please take a few minutes to complete our listener survey. It helps us learn more about you and what you like most about this podcast.
Don't forget to go to the iTunes podcast directory and give us a good rating for the combined feed!
Thanks to our West Coast correspondent Andrew Rich, and audio engineer and sound editor Steven Ng.
Thank you for listening!
Subscribe to the podcast