Wilderness Explorer Camp
Visitors entering the Challenge Trail receive an activity map that contains a self-directed series of six tasks to complete throughout the area. As explorers complete each task, they scratch off the corresponding circle on their map to reveal a "badge." The tasks are self-directed and do not require validation from a cast member, so some choose to actually complete all six tasks, and others just scratch off all of the circles as soon as they get the map. Once they've completed all six, explorers can become a "Senior Wilderness Explorer" if they attend the Ahwahnee Camp Circle show. During the show, Wilderness Explorer Sage recruits the audience to help Russell (who is lost in the woods) find his way back to the group. Once Russell arrives, he leads the group through the Senior Wilderness Explorer pledge, and awards the Senior Wilderness Explorer badge (a sticker which goes on the back of the map).
- Location: Inside of Redwood Creek Challenge Trail.
- Date Opened: June 2011
- # of Shows: Intermittent throughout the day.
- Characters: Russell and Dug
- Photos and Autographs: Russell poses for photos and autographs after the show.
- Wait Times: Generally no more than a few minutes.
- Length of Show: You can expect to spend about a minute with the characters before being moved along.
- FastPass: No
- Queue Description: None
- Health Restriction: N/A
- Ride Access: The area is completely accessible to wheelchairs and ECVs.
- Wheelchair Transfer: No
- Service Animals: N/A
- Weight and Size Issues: N/A
- Height Restriction: No
- Child Swap: No
- Other Issues: As with all character meet-and-greets some young children will be less than pleased to approach.
You've Got Character — MousePlanet's Parenting Panel shares strategies for introducing young children to in park characters. (October 7, 2010)
You can help us keep these guides current. If you
see anything incorrect on this page, or if you have additional
information that should be added, please fill out our form.