Sword in the Stone
This show is held several times throughout the day at the Sword in the Stone display in front of King Triton Carrousel. The sword is always there for royal hopefuls to tug at, but the show begins when Merlin shows up in his purple robe and starts clearing out the area. Through the course of this show he'll select a temporary king and pull a couple people out of the audience to help (a strong looking man and a child). As with all interactive shows, participating will get you a button as well as a memory.
- Location: Between King Arthur Carrousel and the back of Sleeping Beauty Castle. The Sword in the Stone is always there and the show will be in the walkway surrounding it.
- Date Opened: 1983
- Capacity: Whatever can fit on the walkway around the show.
- # of Shows: 6/day (generally only on weekends, though possibly weekdays during peak periods.
- Characters: Merlin
- Photos and Autographs: Yes
- Wait Times: Crowds don't generally form until the show starts.
- Length of Show: 15 minutes
- FastPass: No
- Queue Description: None
- Health Restriction:
- Ride Access: The viewing area for the show is just the normal walkway between Sleeping Beauty Castle and the carrousel. Merlin is not likely to select someone with a mobility impairment from the crowd for participation in the show.
- Wheelchair Transfer:
- Service Animals: Yes
- Audio: Assistive devices are not available for this show due to its unscripted elements.
- Weight and Size Issues:
- Height Restriction: No
- Child Swap: No
- Other Issues: None for watching. If you child is selected for the show they'll be asked to perform certain tasks and be separated from the rest of your group. They will receive a pin for participating in the show.
- At this location: From the time the park opened in 1955 until Fantasyland was closed in 1983 for a near complete redesign, the area in which this show is performed was occupied by King Arthur Carrousel, which was moved back during the redesign.
- This attraction's history: The show remains much the same as when it first started showing when the New Fantasyland debuted in 1983.
You can help us keep these guides current. If you
see anything incorrect on this page, or if you have additional
information that should be added, please fill out our form.