California Screamin' is the only Disneyland Resort roller coaster that includes a loop. The launched start allows this relatively compact roller coaster to achieve surprising speed. Themed to look like an old wooden roller coaster from one of the California beach boardwalks at the turn of the century, Screamin' is actually of steel construction and most of the structure is nothing more than decoration. Along with the bear-shaped mountain at Grizzly River Run, the Mickey logo incorporated inside the coaster's loop is one of the signature images from Disney's California Adventure.
- Location: The far side of Paradise Pier, in the back corner.
- Date Opened: 2/8/2001
- # of Ride Units: Up to five trains simultaneously, each broken into six four-person units
- Ride Capacity: 24 people per train
- Restraint Method: Shoulder bars
- Ticket Rating: E Ticket
- Ride Photo: Yes
- Open/Close: Opens with the park and closes shortly before the day's first performance of World of Color.
- Wait Times: 30 minutes, generally, though as long as 90 minutes on the busiest days. FastPass is strongly recommended.
- Length of Ride: 4 minutes
- FastPass: Yes
- Single Rider: Yes
- Queue Description: Though the queue is nicely shaded, it has no real theming.
- Health Restriction: California Screamin' is a roller coaster with all the twists, turns, and extra G forces that implies. Guests with heart, back, neck, or other problems that could be exacerbated by such motions should not ride. Pregnant women should also not ride, and guests prone to motion sickness may want to consider not riding.
- Ride Access: Enter through the standard queue or through the FastPass line. At the point where these two lines join, you will pass through the marked gate. Contact a cast member for boarding instructions.
- Wheelchair Transfer: Every green coaster train is equipped with a special transfer seat, making transferring from a wheel chair very simple.
- Service Animals: No
- Audio: Music plays on the ride units but is atmospheric.
- Weight and Size Issues: The over-the-shoulder restraints can accommodate people of just about any size, though the largest guests will feel cramped.
- Height Restriction: 48" (122 cm.)
- Child Swap: Ask the cast member at the queue entrance for a rider switch pass. When the rest of your party exits the attraction, two people may return through the Fast Pass entrance.
- Other Issues: For a roller coaster it isn't all that extreme, but the launch start and the loop will be particularly scary to some children.
- At this location: California Screamin' has been operating in the park since it opened in 2001.
- The Attraction's History: There have been no non-cosmetic changes to the attraction since it opened. In May, 2003, an audio countdown was added to the beginning of the ride to warn passengers of the impending launch. When the ride reopened following the 2005 accident, new pouches had been installed in the cars for storing possessions during the ride. In November 2010 new narration, voiced by actor Neil Patrick Harris, was added to the beginning of the ride.
In July 2005, California Screamin' joined the list of Disneyland attractions that have suffered major accidents. On July 29, during an emergency stop of the ride one train blew through its brake zone and rear-ended the next train on the tracks. Though no one was seriously injured, 48 passengers had to be evacuated and many were transported to area hospitals for evaluation and treatment of injuries. California Screamin' remained closed for almost three months, reopening on October 14, 2005, after the California Department of Occupational Safety and Health had completed its investigation and Disney had met all requirements. The findings were that recently replaced valves in the brakes for that zone had failed and that while the process used to report the change in those valves had not be correct, the use of the parts was fine and the accident would have not have been prevented. Disney replaced all the valves in the ride with a brand they use in other roller coasters.
- Other Trivia:
- The manufacturer: California Screamin' is a steel roller coaster (themed to look like a wooden one) designed by Intamin AG. During the post-accident investigation in 2005, Intamin revealed that while they had designed it, Disney Imagineering had sufficiently altered it that they no longer considered it one of their coasters.
- Basic specs: The track is 6,072 feet long, includes one loop, and the ride reaches a top speed of about 55 miles per hour. The initial launch uses a linear synchronous motor, a for of magnetic propulsion, to quickly propel the trains through the first hill rather than using a traditional chain lift.
You can help us keep these guides current. If you
see anything incorrect on this page, or if you have additional
information that should be added, please fill out our form.