Location: As you walk in front of Splash Mountain, the dock will be on the right, before Hungry Bear Restaurant.
Date Opened: May 19, 1971 (July 4, 1956 as Indian War Canoes)
# of Ride Units: Unknown
Ride Capacity: Varies, depending on number of canoes in use. Each canoe can hold up to 16 guests with two cast members.
Restraint Method: None
Ticket Rating: D Ticket
Ride Photo: No
Open/Close: Only opened on busier days during the off season, and only if the weather is good. Closes around dusk.
Wait Times: Lines generally aren't very long for this attraction, but the ride also doesn't have a very high capacity. If the wait is much over 20 minutes the recommendation would be to just move on.
Length of Ride: 20 minutes
Single Rider: No
Queue Description: No real queue for this attraction, just switchbacks along the riverside dock.
Health Restriction: Riders will be expected to paddle the canoe, though nobody will force the issue. Riders should be capable of that exertion.
Ride Access: The queue is accessible to wheelchairs and ECVs.
Wheelchair Transfer: Riders will need to transfer from wheelchairs and ECVs and then step down into the canoe and reversing to exit.
Service Animals: No
Audio: Cast members leading the trip will give oral instructions, which are pretty self-explanatory.
Weight and Size Issues: The canoes will be very tight for large or tall riders.
Height Restriction: No
Child Swap: No
Other Issues: Young children will be required to wear life vests. The Rivers of America are only waist to armpit level deep for adults but will be over many children’s heads should they fall out of the canoe, although it is a relatively safe ride.
: mysqli_fetch_array(): Couldn't fetch mysqli_result in /home/www.mouseplanet.com/guide.php
on line 341
History and Trivia
- At this location: Under different names, this attraction has been plying the Rivers of America since 1956.
- The Attraction's History: The canoes opened in 1956 when the Indian Village expansion of Frontierland premiered. Under that guise, each canoe was led by an Indian guide. When the Indian Village closed in 1971 and the area became Bear Country in 1971 the attraction was renamed Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes and the guides became frontiersmen. Surviving the translation of Bear Country into Critter Country, the canoes appeared to be closed for good in October 1989, but they returned on a seasonal basis during the summer of 1999 and have been a busy-day attraction ever since.
- Other Trivia
- A lot of moving without going anywhere: Without ever changing location, the canoes are the only attraction to have been in three different Disneyland lands: Frontierland (1956-1971), Bear Country (1971-1989), and Critter Country (1989-current).