Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough
An old-school A-ticket attraction in the iconic Disney building. Walk inside Sleeping Beauty Castle while experiencing the story of Sleeping Beauty through dynamic displays.
- Location: Inside Sleeping Beauty Castle, to enter walk through the castle archway and turn left.
- Date Opened: Original version on April 29, 1957. Closed October 7, 2001. Re-opened November 26, 2008.
- # of Ride Units: None, walkthrough attraction.
- Ride Capacity: Probably only a few dozen before things start to feel crowed.
- Restraint Method: None
- Ticket Rating: A Ticket
- Ride Photo: No
- Open/Close: Opens and closes with the park. Closed for fireworks.
- Wait Times: There will generally be no wait at all to enter.
- Length of Ride: Self guided, but for most no more than 15 minutes.
- FastPass: No
- Single Rider: No
- Queue Description: No queue.
- Health Restriction: None.
- Ride Access: Most of this attraction is on the upper floor of Sleeping Beauty Castle and requires climbing and then descending stairs. If this is not possible, there is a virtual experience available in a room on the ground floor of the castle which uses video to demonstrate the attraction.
- Wheelchair Transfer: Wheelchairs can not enter the attraction.
- Service Animals: Yes
- Audio: Mostly just atmospheric sound effects. The virtual experience does have narration with open captions.
- Weight and Size Issues: The walkway inside the castle is narrow and some may find it claustrophobic but everybody should be able to get through.
- Height Restriction: No
- Child Swap: No
- Other Issues: The inside of the castle is a low-light environment with a twisting narrow walkway. Some children may not like it, and all children should be carefully monitored.
- At this location: The castle has been part of the park since it opened in 1955, however it wasn't until April 1957 that the second story storage space was turned into a public attraction.
- The Attraction's History: Sleeping Beauty Castle and the Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough actually predate the movie Sleeping Beauty which wasn't released 1959. So, in effect, they were commercials for an upcoming release. The original walkthrough was very basic, with books, atmospheric sounds, and even scents telling the story of Sleeping Beauty. In 1977 the attraction received an upgrade and new dynamic displays were added. Though the attraction had been in decline it was still a complete surprise when it was closed mid-day on October 7, 2001. No reason was ever given for the sudden closure (some hypothesized access issues, other that it was related to the war in Afghanistan which began that day raising fears that Disneyland might be a terrorism target). The walkway was closed for more than 8 years until finally reopening in late 2008.
Offsite Links (we can not vouch for their accuracy or timeliness)
— From our Disneyland Park Update, photos and details from the reopening of the walkthrough.
You can help us keep these guides current. If you
see anything incorrect on this page, or if you have additional
information that should be added, please fill out our form.