Walt Disney World Resort Updateby Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix, staff writer
Update for July 16 – 22, 2013
Go directly to: News & Views | Join our Networks | Resort Events | Refurbishments and Attraction Closures | Discounts and Promotions | Comments
2013 Candlelight dining packages | WDW hotels replacing in-room refrigerators | Quick takes | Crowd update
Our weekly Walt Disney World Update publishes on Tuesdays.
Reservations are now open for the popular Candlelight dining packages, and Disney has released additional details about the schedule of narrators to help you book your trip. The confirmed narrators are:
- November 29 to December 1 – TBD
- December 2–3 – TBD
- December 4–5 – Ashley Judd
- December 6–7 – Whoopi Goldberg
- December 8–10 – TBD
- December 11–13 – Dennis Haysbert
- December 14–16 – James Denton
- December 17–19 – Edward James Olmos
- December 20–22 – Trace Adkins
- December 23–25 – TBD
- December 26–28 – Blair Underwood
- December 29–30 – Amy Grant
Ashley Judd and Dennis Haysbert are new to the Candlelight line-up for Walt Disney World, though Haysbert has narrated the Disneyland version of the show. The traditional telling of the Christmas story with a mass choir and 50-piece live orchestra runs from the night after Thanksgiving through December 30 at the America Gardens Theatre at Epcot three times nightly, at 5:00, 6:45, and 8:15 p.m.
The popular dining packages consist of a three-course prix fixe meal or full buffet at participating Epcot table-service dining locations, guaranteed seating for the Processional, and reserved seating for IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth. Your meal time determines your show time, with lunch reservations being assigned the earliest show each day. Note: The 5:00 show on Sunday, December 8 is a private event for Walt Disney World's public relations department, so there are no dining packages available for that showing.
As noted last week, Canada's Le Cellier restaurant is not participating in the Candlelight dining program this year. Participating restaurants and meal prices are as follows:
|Restaurant||Prices (Child 3–9 Prices)|
|Chefs de France||
|Garden Grill (Family Style)||
|La Hacienda de San Angel||
|Rose and Crown||
|San Angel Inn||
Reservations can be made by calling the Walt Disney World dine line at (407) WDW-DINE [939-3463], or online via the Walt Disney World website.
Last week, TouringPlans.com reported that some refrigerators in non-Disney Vacation Club rooms at Walt Disney World, the Disneyland Resort, and Aulani had been discontinued and would be replaced due to a product defect. Mary Waring from MouseSavers.com posted on our discussion board that according to a letter Disney sent to travel agents, all Walt Disney World Resort rooms with the exception of DVC Villas, the family suites at the Art of Animation and All-Star Movie resorts, and the cabins at Fort Wilderness are impacted. Waring also said Disney estimates it could take up to four months to complete the replacement.
Disney spokeswoman Suzi Brown told MousePlanet that the replacement began a few weeks ago at the Disneyland Resort, and is expected to be complete in a few weeks. Walt Disney World has not yet replied to our inquiries, so we don't know how long the replacement will take in Florida.
In the interim, if you have a reservation at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel and need a refrigerator for medical reasons,we recommend contacting your resort directly to inquire about availability during your trip. The hotel should be able to arrange for one if your room does not yet have a new refrigerator, but supplies may be limited while they work to replace all of the malfunctioning units. Remember, Value resorts do not include in-room refrigerators.
In the discussion about this issue on our MousePad boards, reader mckat shared how they handled food storage before refrigerators were common in hotel rooms. "We had a system that worked well that I will try again. Packed a collapsible ice chest and three large Ziploc bags for ice. Refresh the ice in the morning and before sleep (yes that may be an issue with everyone getting ice). I also may purchase a cheap Styrofoam cooler and leave it."
...A course for a race called the "Epcot 10K" has been certified by USA Track & Field. The race date indicates that this is the course for the new Minnie Mouse 10K, part of the 2014 WDW Marathon Weekend. You can view the course, which starts and ends in Epcot, at the USATF website.
Are we looking for you?
Do you write or blog about Walt Disney World or Disney-related topics? Do you have a Disney-related YouTube channel or independent website? If so, we want to meet you. MousePlanet is looking for established writers to cover new areas of the Disney universe, including the international Parks and Resorts.
If you are interested in learning how your blog or site can work with MousePlanet, or you have an idea for a great new column, please contact us—we'd love to hear from you!
Crowd information and forecasts are provided by TouringPlans.com, the website of the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World, to help you better plan your trip to the Walt Disney World Resort. TouringPlans.com gathers wait time data from a team of in-park researchers and users of their Lines mobile phone application, and then predicts crowd levels for the next 365 days. Using a scale from 1 to 10, TouringPlans.com has a 90 percent accuracy of predicting the crowds to within 1 point, helping visitors prepare for their trips so they can "Do more. Wait less."
Join our networks
Don't keep it to yourself! Send us your news tips, rumors, and comments. Email Adrienne here.
Talk about these stories and more on our Walt Disney World discussion forum here.
- Night of Joy – September 6–7
- Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party – September 10, 13, 17, 20, 24, 27, 29; October 3, 4, 6, 10, 11, 14, 17, 18, 20, 22, 24, 25, 27, 29, 31; and November 1.
- Epcot International Food & Wine Festival – September 27 to November 11
- Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler Weekend – October 4–5
- EasyWDW.com reports that Disney Hollywood Studios will close at 6 p.m. on October 26 due to a private event for the American Academy of Pediatrics.
- Holiday Time at Walt Disney World – begins November 8
- Opening night for Osbourn Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights – November 8
- Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party – November 8, 11, 14, 15, 17, 21, 22; and December 1, 3, 5, 6, 8, 10, 12, 13, 15, 17, 19, 20.
- Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend – November 8–9
- MouseAdventure World Explorers V – November 16–17. Keep an eye on our MouseAdventure Facebook page, and register for our MouseAdventure Newsletters for more details as they are announced.
- Candlelight Processional – November 29 through December 30. Dining packages go on sale July 9.
- Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend – January 9–12
- Disney's Princess Half Marathon Weekend – February 21–23
- Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler Weekend – October 4–5. The Tower of Terror 10-Miler is now sold out. Registration is still open for the Happy Haunted 5K Trail Run, Kids Races, Disney Villains Hollywood Bash.
- Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend – November 8–9. The Wine & Dine Half Marathon is now sold out. Registration is still open for Mickey's Jingle Jungle 5K, Kids' Races, Wine & Dine Finish Line Party.
- Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend – January 9–12. Sold out: Walt Disney World Half Marathon, WDW 10K, Disney Family Fun Run 5K, Dopey Challenge, Runner's World Challenge. Registration is still open for the Walt Disney World Marathon, Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge, Family Reunion Breakfast and Pasta in the Park Party.
- Disney's Princess Half-Marathon Weekend – February 21–23. Registration open. Events include Disney's Princess Half Marathon individual and team events, Enchanted 10K, Disney Royal Family 5K, Kids Races, post-5K Breakfast, and Pasta in the Park Party. Registration for the 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge (both the 10K and half marathon) is sold out. runDisney has announced a special achievement for those running both the Princess and Tinker Bell half-marathons.
Do you participate in (or are considering signing up for) runDisney events? Visit our Team MousePlanet forum on the MousePad discussion board, where you can join our community of health-minded readers and staff.
- Pirates of the Caribbean – closed July 27–30 for an "animation refurbishment."
- Prince Charming Regal Carousel – closed August 1–21 for refurbishment.
- Liberty Belle – closed August 5–9 for refurbishment.
- Jungle Cruise – closed August 19 through September 30 for refurbishment.
- Cinderella's Royal Table – closed September 10–13 for refurbishment.
- Princess Fairytale Hall – opens 2013.
- Seven Dwarfs Mine Train – opens 2014.
- Fountain View Ice Cream – closed through early September for conversion to Starbucks location.
- Spaceship Earth – closed August 18–24 for refurbishment.
- New rest room between America and Japan pavilions – scheduled to open Fall 2013.
- Muppet*Vision 3D – closed August 6 through September 2 for refurbishment.
- Both parades (Disney Channel Rocks and Pixar Pals Countdown to Fun Parade) have ended their run. No new parades have been announced.
- No known refurbishments.
- All-Star Movies – feature icons refurbishment through September 20.
- Feature icons refurbishment through September.
- Melody Hall guest check in parking renovation – June 13 through August 7
- Feature icons refurbishment through September 20.
- Arcade closes July 28 for conversion into a temporary grab-and-go food location. Expected to reopen in December.
- Food court closed August 5 - mid-December for refurbishment. During this time, snacks and drinks will be available from a grab-and-go location in the former arcade. Hot food will be available from the All-Star Music Food Court, and Disney will offer bus service between the resorts.
- BoardWalk – guest parking lot renovation through July 19
- California Grill closed through late summer for refurbishment.
- Guest elevator renovations – through December 8
- Grand Floridian – Convention center parking lot refurbishment August 5–7
- Polynesian – soft goods replacement in guest rooms through October 4
- Feature icons refurbishment through October 2
Port Orleans French Quarter
- Atrium and lobby renovation through July 12
Port Orleans Riverside
- Bridge and bus stop vine removal and painting through August 30
Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
- Spa closed through summer for conversion to Senses – A Disney Spa at Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort. The spa at the Grand Floridian remains open during this time.
- Yacht and Beach Club – Beach Club Villas sidewalk will be repaired
- Main building exterior repairs through August 5
- Typhoon Lagoon – closed October 27, 2013 through January 4, 2014 for refurbishment.
Cirque du Soleil La Nouba – performs Tuesdays through Saturdays. Will not be performed on the following dates in 2013:
- July 23
- September 17–21
- November 5–6
Discounts for everyone
Free Dining in September
First Disney announced a new Free Dining offer for U.K. residents, then an offer for Disney Visa cardholders visiting selected dates this September. Now the September Free Dining offer is available without using a Disney Visa card. Check in at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel from September 2 to 25 and stay three to 14 nights, and everyone in your party gets free dining. Stay at a:
There are some restrictions:
For full details, visit the Disney special offer site.
PhotoPass+ pre-arrival discount
Disney's PhotoPass service provides a discount on Disney PhotoPass+ pre-arrival packages. For $149.95 plus tax, Walt Disney World guests receive a voucher to exchange for a PhotoPass+ card upon arrival at the resort, a Photo Gallery CD with more than 400 stock photos ($39.95 value), a unique code to create and order a photo CD upon return from their trip ($169.95 value), print packages at select dining locations ($29.95 value each), and digital photos from select attractions ($14.95 value each). Applicable taxes are charged to all orders.
This special offer is only available from this link or by calling the Guest Support line at (407) 560-4300 before you arrive at Walt Disney World Resort. All sales are final, and not eligible for an exchange or refund.
The package might take as long as 14 days to arrive, and you must bring your voucher from the package to redeem it, so make sure that you order far enough in advance to allow your materials to arrive.
Attractions currently participating in the program are Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin, Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, Expedition Everest, and Dinosaur. Current participating restaurants are 1900 Park Fare, 'Ohana, Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show, Chef Mickey's, Cinderella's Royal Table, Tusker House Restaurant, Hoop Dee Doo Musical Revue, and Princess Storybook Dining at Akershus Royal Banquet Hall.
Discounts for Annual Passholders
Passholder room discounts June 4 through August 15
A discount for annual passholders is available for most dates June 4 through August 15. Advance reservations required.
As with all discounts, rooms available at these rates is limited, and minimum length-of-stay requirements may apply for Friday or Saturday arrivals. No group rates or other discounts apply. Campsites, three-bedroom Grand Villas, and standard rooms at Disney's Art of Animation Resort are not included. Discounts vary by accommodation type and date, and availability varies by date. Moderate and Deluxe Resort suites may be available at a lower discount - check with your travel agent. Full details on the offer website. (AP login required)
You can make your reservation through the Walt Disney World Passholder website or by calling (407) 939-7926 or your favorite travel agent. MousePlanet's preferred Disney travel providers are MouseEarVacations.com (link), Small World Vacations (link) and Get Away Today (link).
Discounts for Disney Visa cardholders
20% off select guided tours
Disney Visa cardholders receive 20% off the non-discounted price of selected guided tours for up to 10 people. The cardholder must participate in the tour, and pay with a Disney's Visa Card and/or Disney Rewards Redemption Card. Tours included:
Magic Kingdom® Park
10% off select restaurants
Disney Visa cardholders receive 10% off the check when you pay with a Disney's Visa Card and/or Disney Rewards Redemption Card (be sure to request the discount). Discount excludes alcohol.
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge:
10% off merchandise
Disney Visa cardholders receive 10% off at participating Disney-owned retail location when you spend a minimum of $50 and pay with a Disney's Visa Card and/or Disney Rewards Redemption Card (be sure to request the discount). Read all of the restrictions on the Disney Visa website.
Free 5x7 character photo at a private meet and greet location at Epcot.
Present your Disney's Premier Visa® Card or Disney Rewards® Visa® Card for access to a private character meet and greet at Epcot for the cardholder and up to 5 guests. The event is hosted daily from 1pm - 7pm inside Innoventions West at Epcot. You'll recieve one free 5 x 7 character photo per day.
Discounts for Florida residents
Florida resident hotel offers
The Waldorf Astoria Orlando has announced Florida resident rates valid through September 5. Residents receive 10 percent off of the best available rate, along with free transportation to the Walt Disney World Resort. Book using the Florida resident offer website.
The Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek Resort has announced Florida resident rates valid through September 5. Residents receive 10 percent off of the best available rate, along with free transportation to the Walt Disney World Resort. Book using the Florida Resident offer website.
Discounts for US Military
2013 Military Salute offers
From now through September 28, active and retired U.S. military personnel can purchase 4-Day Military Promotional Tickets with either the Park Hopper or Water Parks Fun and More option for $156 per ticket, plus tax (up from $138 last year), or with both the Park Hopper and Water Parks Fun and More options for $184 per ticket, plus tax (up from $165). No Base ticket is available with this offer.
These tickets expire after September 28. Blockout dates are March 24 through April 4 at all ticketed locations, and July 4 at Magic Kingdom park only.
Eligible service members include active or retired members of the U.S. military including the U.S. Coast Guard, National Guard, and Reservists. Disney Military Promotional Tickets can be purchased at Shades of Green or at a participating military base (MWR/ITT) office. There is no tax charged for these tickets but they must be activated at a theme park ticket window. Tickets may also be purchased at Walt Disney World Park Ticket Offices and Guest Relations Offices where tax will be charged. Tickets may be purchased by active and retired military personnel for themselves and up to five additional family members or friends. One of the Disney four-Day Military Promotional Tickets purchased on each occasion must be for use by the Eligible Service Member or spouse. This offer is for active or retired members of the U.S. military, including the National Guard, Reservists and the U.S. Coast Guard. Valid military identification is required. The tickets are non-transferable and may not be resold.
You may upgrade the tickets to Seasonal Passes or Florida Resident Weekday Select Passes (for Florida Residents), or Annual Passes, Premium Annual Passes, or Disney Premier Pass with credit toward the upgrade based on the actual price paid. The no-expiration option and other upgrades, such as additional days, are not available.
In addition, specially priced rooms are available to active and retired U.S. military personnel at select Walt Disney World resorts for stays most nights through September 28.
For complete information regarding Disney 4-Day Military Promotional Tickets and discounted resort rates, military personnel may call (407) 939-7830, visit the Walt Disney World website, or participating U.S. military base ticket offices.
Discounts for UK residents
2014 Free Dining offer for UK residents
2014 Free Dining offers for UK residents have been released. From the information posted on the Virgin Holidays website, it appears the 2014 program offers free Quick Service Dining Plan plan when booking at a Moderate resort, and free Dining Plan when booking at Deluxe resorts, Old Key West or Saratoga Springs. There are also offers for a free $200 Disney Gift Card and/or a 14-day ticket for the price of a 7-day ticket depending on travel dates. These particular offers are valid for UK residents only.
Don't keep it to yourself! Send us your news tips, rumors, and comments. Email Adrienne here.