My Disney Top 5 - Walt Disney World Snacks

by Chris Barry, contributing writer
Advertisement

I tend to write my Top 5 and Disney Stuff articles late at night. It's really the only time that things ever actually quiet down around here. I put the TV on for some mindless background noise, push the comfy chair up to the desk and bang away at the keyboard spilling my thoughts onto the screen. It works for me. What I should be doing is writing. What I shouldn't be doing, however, is snacking.

Sometimes though, even though I know it's not good for me to eat so late, I will partake in some late night snacking to keep the creative juices flowing. Lately my poison has been a couple of Oreo Thins—kept deliciously cool in the fridge, of course—or some popcorn flavored Jelly Bellys and probably a cold glass of lime-flavored sparkling water. Those are my go-to-snacks-of-the-moment. Everybody's got his or her snack weaknesses. You know which treats I'm talking about. They're the ones that you spot on your supermarket run. You know exactly where they are in the aisle and after you buy them, you just can't wait for the opportune moment to crack the package and indulge. After all, you worked hard... you deserve that treat.

Of course, one of my favorite places to snack is, you guessed it, Walt Disney World. The great thing about going to Disney is that the food surpasses traditional theme park fare and truly becomes part of the experience. You can absolutely find amusement park stalwarts like popcorn, pretzels, and the omnipresent churros, but there's also a lot more to be found throughout the resort. So what do I look forward to snacking on when I'm in the most magical place on Earth? Let's take a look with my Top 5 Walt Disney World Snacks.

5 – Whole Pickles

This may sound like a strange entrant on this list but who cares? It's my list and I'm starting with the pickles. I absolutely love the whole pickles that are sold at Liberty Square Market in the Magic Kingdom. It may sound strange but on a sweltering hot Orlando day in the parks an ice-cold pickle and a cold bottle of water just hits the spot. It's refreshing, crunchy, and salty—it hits all the right spots on my crave-o-meter. You can also find them right outside Kilimanjaro Safaris in Animal Kingdom and on Sunset Boulevard in Disney's Hollywood Studios. Trust me on this one. They're awesome.

4 – Beignets – Port Orleans French Quarter


Delicious treats can be found amidst the props and decorations at the Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory food court. Photo by Donald Fink.

These beignets are so good we found the recipe online and made them ourselves at home. Ours were delicious, but not quite as good as getting fresh ones from the Sassagoula Floatworks food court at Disney's Port Orleans French Quarter Resort. Beignets are essentially fried dough, but don't for a minute confuse them with that other theme park staple, funnel cakes. The beignets are light and airy and so delicious. Best of all is they're made fresh to order, never sitting under a heat lamp staying "warm" like their distant cousins the funnel cake. It's worth a trip to the resort to stop in and have these.

3 – Crepes – France Pavilion, Epcot's World Showcase.


$4.00 is well worth the price for the delicious crepes in Epcot's World Showcase. Photo by Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix.

There's so much deliciousness going on at the France pavilion in Epcot's World Showcase, it's hard to know where to begin. Actually, no it's not. You should begin outside the pavilion itself at the crepe stand along World Showcase Lagoon. Once again, it's a freshly made snack. The crepes are made to order right there in front of you. The chocolate is my particular favorite, but the strawberry ones and the sugar ones are just as tasty. For a real decadent snack, go for the ice cream crepes and while you're at it, go next door and have the greatest drink in all of Walt Disney World, the Grand Marnier Slush.

2 – Mickey Chocolate Chip Muffins – The BoardWalk Bakery


The BoardWalk Bakery at Disney's BoardWalk Resort is the place to go for my favorite muffins. Photo by Alan S. Dalinka.

The kids are still asleep. My wife, Diane, has just returned from her morning run through The World. She sips her coffee and I sip my OJ with a fresh, delicious Mickey-shaped muffin as we sit out on the balcony of our Yacht Club room and watch as the resort wakes up. Not much can be better than that. These muffins are addicting. So much so, that you're just as likely to find me later on in the day sitting with the kids on the Boardwalk overlooking the water enjoying another one for an afternoon pick-me-up.

1 – Mickey Premium Bars


Eating a Mickey Premium Bar can be tricky in the Florida heat. Photo By Chris Barry

What is it about these things that make them so awesome? Basically, it's a Klondike bar shaped like Mickey. But... it's better than that. Maybe it's the soupy Orlando heat that makes them hit the spot. Maybe everything tastes better shaped like Mickey Mouse. I don't know what it is, but I have to have one on every trip. I love ice cream. I've had plenty of other vanilla ice cream bars dipped in chocolate, but there's just something about the Mickey Premium Bar that stands out above all the rest. They're an institution.

I probably left many fan favorites off of this list. Notice the lack of churros, Dole Whips, and turkey legs. Are giant honking smoked turkey legs even really a snack? They seem more like a meal than a snack. I didn't even include anything from Karamel-Küche in Germany or the Lefse from Kringla Bakeri in Norway. I could do a Top 5 in World Showcase alone.

When I think of Walt Disney World, so many wonderful images and memories pop into my head. The hotels, the attractions, the characters, and the food are all forever imprinted in my psyche. When I think of riding Peter Pan's Flight in Fantasyland, I get happy. When I think of my kids covered in melting Mickey bar and laughing, I have to tell you—I get just as happy.

 

Comments

  1. By jerm

    Not a fan of pickles, so that one would be out. And I've never been to either hotel. And when we toured World Showcase in 2008, it was very rainy (Tropical Storm Fay), so we didn't really take in any ambiance. We pretty much ran from spot to spot. But as soon as I read the title, my first thought was Mickey Premium Bars!

  2. By danyoung

    On my Disneyland visits in my youth, I'd just have to have a big pickle and a glass of ice cold apple cider - yummm! I love getting a glass of wine from the kiosk in France - who knew that the crepes right next door were so special? I'm gonna have to try one on my next visit. And you're absolutely right - a turkey leg is NOT a snack - it's a meal!

  3. By mickeymom5

    Not sure if this qualifies as a snack...but one of our favorites is Lafou's Brew! Since it is a frozen drink, it sure hits the spot on a hot and humid MK day!

  4. By stan4d_steph

    The crepe stand at France is a huge disappointment for me. They do not make the crepes fresh. In my experience they have a stack of pre-made crepes that they warm. Having been to France where they actually make crepes to order, it seems like a small adjustment. They literally take seconds for a skilled hand.

  5. By Lovethemouse

    Hi Chris. I love your top 5's, and I totall agree with making the Mickey Premium bar #1 on the list. It is my go to snack.
    I think you've convinced me to try the ice cream crepes though when I'm in Epcot.

  6. By DisneyGator

    How did beignets not hit #1? I'm guessing becase they're not at a park. You have to go all the way to a resort to get them. But for me, they're the best. My fave at the WDW parks would definitely be the Vanilla Orange swirl in Adventureland. That always hits the spot. Wish they had it at DL.

  7. By cbarry

    Quote Originally Posted by jerm View Post
    Not a fan of pickles, so that one would be out. And I've never been to either hotel. And when we toured World Showcase in 2008, it was very rainy (Tropical Storm Fay), so we didn't really take in any ambiance. We pretty much ran from spot to spot. But as soon as I read the title, my first thought was Mickey Premium Bars!

    They seem to be everyone's favorite!

  8. By cbarry

    Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    On my Disneyland visits in my youth, I'd just have to have a big pickle and a glass of ice cold apple cider - yummm! I love getting a glass of wine from the kiosk in France - who knew that the crepes right next door were so special? I'm gonna have to try one on my next visit. And you're absolutely right - a turkey leg is NOT a snack - it's a meal!

    I do like a cold glass of apple cider, especially right around now in the Fall. I'm pretty sure they don't have that at WDW anywhere that I've seen.

  9. By cbarry

    Quote Originally Posted by mickeymom5 View Post
    Not sure if this qualifies as a snack...but one of our favorites is Lafou's Brew! Since it is a frozen drink, it sure hits the spot on a hot and humid MK day!

    I think that would qualify. I was close to putting the milkshakes from Mrs. Pott's Cupboard in Fantasyland. Now it's called Storybook Treats. They make a great vanilla shake.

  10. By cbarry

    Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    The crepe stand at France is a huge disappointment for me. They do not make the crepes fresh. In my experience they have a stack of pre-made crepes that they warm. Having been to France where they actually make crepes to order, it seems like a small adjustment. They literally take seconds for a skilled hand.

    Certainly can't compare them to what I imagine you get in France, or even NYC for that matter. There's a crepe stand here in Manhattan in Bryant Park that has killer Nutella & banana crepes! But i still love the World Showcase crepes.

  11. By cbarry

    Quote Originally Posted by Lovethemouse View Post
    Hi Chris. I love your top 5's, and I totall agree with making the Mickey Premium bar #1 on the list. It is my go to snack.
    I think you've convinced me to try the ice cream crepes though when I'm in Epcot.

    Thanks for the kind words.
    They take the sugar crepes and put a dollop of ice cream and some fresh whip cream on them...very nice!

  12. By cbarry

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGator View Post
    How did beignets not hit #1? I'm guessing becase they're not at a park. You have to go all the way to a resort to get them. But for me, they're the best. My fave at the WDW parks would definitely be the Vanilla Orange swirl in Adventureland. That always hits the spot. Wish they had it at DL.

    Hey Gator,

    Had nothing to do with location. The beignets are super good, but like I said, there's just something about those Mickey bars! I felt the same way - perhaps stronger - about the Mickey Mouse milk chocolate bars that have disappeared. They were essentially just a milk chocolate bar, but they were the best milk chocolate bars anywhere and I haven't seen them on my last two trips.They were marked WDW and Disneyland. Has anybody seen them out west in Anaheim??

  13. By danyoung

    Quote Originally Posted by cbarry View Post
    I do like a cold glass of apple cider, especially right around now in the Fall. I'm pretty sure they don't have that at WDW anywhere that I've seen.

    I don't think they have it at DL anymore, either. It used to be in two places - in the old market on Main Street and on Tom Sawyer Island back in the fort. But no more.

  14. Discuss this article on MousePad.