Disneyland announces 2016 ticket discount for Southern California Residents

by Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix, staff writer
Advertisement

2016 ticket discount for Southern California residents

Southern California residents can visit the Disneyland Resort theme parks multiple days before May 26 for as little as $149 using a new discounted ticket that went on sale this morning.


Southern California Residents can now visit Disneyland during the Diamond Celebration at a discounted price. MousePlanet file photo.

The 2-Day So Cal Resident 1-Park Per Day ticket offers residents of Southern California and Northern Baja California admission to either Disneyland or Disney California Adventure on one day, and then a second visit to either park on another day on or before May 26, 2016.

You can use both days of this ticket at the same theme park, or visit one park one day and the other park on the second day, but you cannot use it to enter both parks on the same day. The ticket is $149 for ages 3 and up, a $20 jump from the 2014 offer. You can also upgrade the ticket to a park-hopper, which allows entry to both parks each day, for an additional $40, a savings of up to $36 compared to the box office price of a two-day park-hopper ticket.

As with the 2014 offer, there is also a 3-Day 1-Park per Day option ($179) and a 3-Day Park Hopper ticket ($219) in the promotion.

You can either purchase tickets at the Disneyland Resort ticket booths, or online at Disneyland.com and print them at home. You can also purchase them at participating Disney Stores and authorized third party ticket outlets, including many local grocery stores.

If purchased in advance of arrival, the three-day tickets include one Magic Morning admission. This benefit does not come with tickets purchased at the theme park ticket booths, so make sure to order online and print at home before you arrive. If purchasing at a participating third party ticket outlet, double-check that their 3-day tickets come with this feature.

There is no "fuse" on this ticket, which means you can use the first admission today and wait until May to use the second (or third) admission. You must, however, purchase the ticket by May 19, 2016. Tickets expire May 26, 2016, and are blocked out March 20, 2016 through April 2, 2016.

While Disney states that proof of residency required for purchase and admission, MousePlanet readers who have purchased similar tickets from off-property retailers during past resident discount promotions consistently reported that they were not required to provide proof of residency at the time of purchase. However, be aware that Disneyland Resort Main Gate cast members can—and may—require proof of residency when you first use the tickets. Whether such residency checks occur is an oft-debated topic on our MousePad discussion boards, but it is your responsibility to know the official policy, regardless of what the park's actual practice may be.


Southern California Residents can now visit Disneyland during the Diamond Celebration at a discounted price. MousePlanet file photo.

Now for the official fine print:

2-Day Promotional Ticket

  • Valid only for Southern California residents within ZIP codes 90000-93599 and Northern Baja California residents within ZIP codes 21000-22999; proof of residency is required for purchase and admission. 
  • 2-Day, 1-Park Per Day Ticket is valid for admission for two (2) days to either Disneyland or Disney California Adventure Park, but not to both parks on the same day.
  • 2-Day Disneyland Resort Park Hopper Ticket is valid for admission for two (2) days to both Disneyland and Disney California Adventure Park on the same day.;
  • Each day of use constitutes one full day of use.
  • Tickets expire May 26, 2016.
  • Blockout days of March 20, 2016 through April 2, 2016 apply.
  • May purchase up to 5 tickets per person per day with valid I.D.
  • Tickets may not be sold or transferred for commercial use.
  • Offer may not be combined with other ticket discounts or promotions.
  • Tickets not valid before January 6, 2016.
  • Subject to capacity, restrictions and change without notice.

3-Day Promotional Ticket

  • Valid only for Southern California residents within ZIP codes 90000-93599 and Northern Baja California residents within ZIP codes 21000-22999; proof of residency is required for purchase and admission. 
  • 3-Day, 1-Park Per Day Ticket is valid for admission for three (3) days to either Disneyland or Disney California Adventure Park, but not to both parks on the same day.  
  • 3-Day Disneyland Resort Park Hopper Ticket is valid for admission for three (3) days to both Disneyland and Disney California Adventure Park on the same day.  
  • Each day of use constitutes one full day of use.  
  • Tickets expire May 26, 2016.  
  • Blockout days of March 20, 2016 through April 2, 2016 apply.  
  • May purchase up to 5 tickets per person per day with valid I.D.
  • Tickets may not be sold or transferred for commercial use.  
  • Offer may not be combined with other ticket discounts or promotions. 
  • Tickets not valid before January 6, 2016.  
  • Subject to capacity, restrictions and change without notice.

Important Details about Magic Morning at Disneyland Park

  • Magic Morning admission allows admission into selected attractions at Disneyland Park before the park opens to the general public on Tuesday, Thursday or Saturday. 
  • Each Guest must have valid, eligible theme park admission.  
  • To enhance the Magic Morning experience, it is strongly recommended that Guests arrive at least one hour and 15 minutes prior to regular park opening. 
  • Magic Morning admission is based on availability and capacity.
  • Applicable theme park, days and times of operation and all other elements including, but not limited to, operation of attractions, entertainment, stores and restaurants and appearances of characters may vary and are subject to change without notice.
  • Subject to restrictions and cancellation.

 

Comments

  1. By fivestar73

    For anyone who might have questions about the whole residency requirement, I thought I might add something that might be useful.

    I am a So Cal resident and am planning on buying these tickets for my relatives who are from SF. I plan on going with them but of course, they themselves are not So Cal residents. I called the official phone number for the Disney tickets and the first cast member specifically told me that as long as the purchaser's credit card billing zip code is So Cal, then the tickets can be gifted to anyone and I wouldn't even have to go to the park.

    I then went online to purchase these tickets and right at checkout, the fine print stated "all adults entering the park with this ticket will be required to show proof of So Cal residency". That was completely the opposite of what I was told over the phone. So I called the phone number again and the 2nd cast member said (I am paraphrasing here), Yes the website says one thing but really, you just need to be a So Cal resident to buy the tickets and then those tickets can be used by ANYONE. I am a super cautious person so I wanted another cast member to back up what the 1st and the 2nd cast members said so I called back the third time and asked the same question. The 3rd cast member also said that the only requirement is at the time of purchase and the tickets can be used by anyone. So there you have it. The website says that proof of residency is required at the time of entrance but three different cast members all say otherwise.

  2. By newhdplayer

    Quote Originally Posted by fivestar73 View Post
    For anyone who might have questions about the whole residency requirement, I thought I might add something that might be useful.

    I am a So Cal resident and am planning on buying these tickets for my relatives who are from SF. I plan on going with them but of course, they themselves are not So Cal residents. I called the official phone number for the Disney tickets and the first cast member specifically told me that as long as the purchaser's credit card billing zip code is So Cal, then the tickets can be gifted to anyone and I wouldn't even have to go to the park.

    I then went online to purchase these tickets and right at checkout, the fine print stated "all adults entering the park with this ticket will be required to show proof of So Cal residency". That was completely the opposite of what I was told over the phone. So I called the phone number again and the 2nd cast member said (I am paraphrasing here), Yes the website says one thing but really, you just need to be a So Cal resident to buy the tickets and then those tickets can be used by ANYONE. I am a super cautious person so I wanted another cast member to back up what the 1st and the 2nd cast members said so I called back the third time and asked the same question. The 3rd cast member also said that the only requirement is at the time of purchase and the tickets can be used by anyone. So there you have it. The website says that proof of residency is required at the time of entrance but three different cast members all say otherwise.

    Please don't be upset if they actually check your tickets as you enter.

  3. By fivestar73

    Maybe they will and maybe they won't but if the actual requirement is in fact to show proof, why would cast members say otherwise?

    Quote Originally Posted by newhdplayer View Post
    Please don't be upset if they actually check your tickets as you enter.

  4. By MermaidHair

    I just thought to add that as a NorCal resident I am envious of these SoCal promos, although I get why they have them. However, I am not confident enough with the phone rep's comments holding any weight over a gate attendants and I will likely not buy them when I next go.

  5. By newhdplayer

    Quote Originally Posted by fivestar73 View Post
    Maybe they will and maybe they won't but if the actual requirement is in fact to show proof, why would cast members say otherwise?

    Just saying that if the rules on the web-site state ID required, do not be upset if they ask for ID at the gate.

    I've heard too many stories of folks trying to "skirt" the rules, and then whining about how "unfair" Disney (or any other company) is when they actually decide to enforce their own rules.

  6. By cstephens

    Quote Originally Posted by newhdplayer View Post
    Just saying that if the rules on the web-site state ID required, do not be upset if they ask for ID at the gate.

    I've heard too many stories of folks trying to "skirt" the rules, and then whining about how "unfair" Disney (or any other company) is when they actually decide to enforce their own rules.

    True, but in this case, no one is trying to go around the rules, and it's not like they're asking a third party for interpretation. Asking a CM on the phone is asking an official Disney rep, and their information should be correct. It happens way more than it should, but it annoys me when the printed rules are one thing, but the information given over the phone is different.

    To be double sure, I'd ask to speak to a lead, since I would expect the lead to know the rules more than a regular CM (yes, I've run across leads who had the wrong information as well). Then I'd write down the date and time of the call, and the name of the lead, so that if I needed proof later, I'd have it. I've done that sort of thing before when I got different answers from Disney depending on who and how I asked.

  7. By fivestar73

    Exactly. Couldn't have said it better myself. No one is trying to skirt the rules here. For the record, I called the fourth time and got a CM to "admit" that the fine print is to discourage abuse but in reality no one will check IDs at the park entrance. So I am quadruple sure. That was last Friday. So after getting four official confirmations, I decided to just buy the tickets and this time, even noticed that at checkout, they even removed the clause about every adult needing to show proof of residence at the time of entrance. I imagine they were fielding a lot of calls regarding the exact requirements and just decided to clarify. (After buying the tickets and printing them out, I noticed that the fine print on the printout still included the residents needing to show proof at park entrance, but at that point, I didn't even care as someone at Disney clearly decided to change the wording at the time of purchase to require only proof of residence at time of purchase.)

    I went to California Adventures on Valentine's Day with the relatives. No one was asked for any ID. Yesterday, I went to Disneyland with the same party. No one was asked for any ID yesterday either. So while I am not affiliated with Disney, I do feel that I have done as much research on this topic as anyone else. As long as you are a So. Cal resident, you are allowed to by 5 tickets and you are free to do whatever you want with them.

    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    True, but in this case, no one is trying to go around the rules, and it's not like they're asking a third party for interpretation. Asking a CM on the phone is asking an official Disney rep, and their information should be correct. It happens way more than it should, but it annoys me when the printed rules are one thing, but the information given over the phone is different.

    To be double sure, I'd ask to speak to a lead, since I would expect the lead to know the rules more than a regular CM (yes, I've run across leads who had the wrong information as well). Then I'd write down the date and time of the call, and the name of the lead, so that if I needed proof later, I'd have it. I've done that sort of thing before when I got different answers from Disney depending on who and how I asked.

  8. By cstephens

    Quote Originally Posted by fivestar73 View Post
    I went to California Adventures on Valentine's Day with the relatives. No one was asked for any ID. Yesterday, I went to Disneyland with the same party. No one was asked for any ID yesterday either. So while I am not affiliated with Disney, I do feel that I have done as much research on this topic as anyone else. As long as you are a So. Cal resident, you are allowed to by 5 tickets and you are free to do whatever you want with them.

    Glad you didn't have any problems. I was there for part of Sunday and Monday, and it was a very crowded weekend. Hope y'all had fun.

  9. By AVP

    For whatever it's worth, I have repeatedly asked the same question of Disney representatives each time this offer is released, and repeatedly been given the same answer: This offer is intended for California residents and their guests, and CA residents can purchase up to 6 tickets for themselves or guests per transaction.

    ID of the person buying the tickets may be checked at the time of purchase when the tickets are purchased from a Disney-owned seller (Main Entrance ticket booths, Disneyland.com or Disney Stores), but third-party sellers are responsible for their own enforcement.

    Disneyland Resort Main Gate cast members can and may require proof of residency when the tickets are first used. In such an instance, the CA resident's ID is sufficient for their entire party.

  10. By Toocherie

    Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    Disneyland Resort Main Gate cast members can and may require proof of residency when the tickets are first used. In such an instance, the CA resident's ID is sufficient for their entire party.

    Dang. So I guess this scenario wouldn't work---I have friends here from Arizona who are going tomorrow and Thursday---I was planning on going on Thursday with them, but would not be with them tomorrow (to give proof of residency). So they can't use this deal? What happens if they are turned away for residency issues? Do they just go to the ticket booth and upgrade the ticket by paying the difference between the SoCal deal and a regular two-day ticket? In that case it might be worth trying.

  11. Discuss this article on MousePad.