Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Disneyland Debut: LIVE COVERAGEby Alan S. Dalinka, staff writer
WELCOME TO OUR LIVE COVERAGE – MAY 29, 2019!
Greetings from Alan S. Dalinka on the controls for MousePlanet tonight from Central Florida, just down the street from Walt Disney World Resort, where we still have to wait three more months until Disney's Hollywood Studios opens Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge. But out on the West Coast, Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix and a large contingent of media from around the world have gathered for a day filled with briefings and explorations of Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge at Disneyland Park in Anaheim, California. Starting at 9 p.m. Eastern/6 p.m. Pacific, we can share with you what Disney Parks has shared about its largest park expansion ever!
On this page, in our most technologically ambitious effort yet, we will be bringing you live commentary from MousePlanet contributors across the country. With some luck, Adrienne will chime in live from Disneyland, and, at around 8:20 p.m. Pacific we will simulcast the #DisneyParksLIVE stream of the dedication of the new land itself so you do not have to leave this page to see it. Until our LIVE stream starts, the Twitter feed on this page should keep you up-to-date on the latest Disney Parks news and our latest tweets.
Live Video begins at 6 p.m. Pacific/9 p.m. Eastern!
Live Updating Twitter Feed
And, Thanks to Our Sponsor: Get Away Today Travel
As you may recall from news reports over the past few months and as Adrienne's article yesterday sending you to Batuu Boot Camp reminded, between the public opening on May 31 and June 23, even if you have a park admission ticket or annual pass to visit Disneyland, you cannot enter Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge itself without a separate reservation for the new land. Disney offered two methods for getting a reservation. The Disneyland website method, however, sold out in just a few hours, and is no longer available. The method that remains available is to stay at a Disneyland Resort hotel between May 31 and June 23, because room bookings include an automatic reservation to Galaxy's Edge. If you aren't already staying at one, you can book a stay. [MousePlanet partner Get Away Today still has a block of rooms at Disneyland Resort Hotels select dates through June 18; book online or call 1-855-GET-AWAY (1-855-438-2929) to check rates and availability.]
Also, note: if you still need to buy your admission tickets, MousePlanet partner Get Away Today just announced a new ticket deal offering Adults at Kids Prices on 3-day or longer tickets purchased before June 7, 2019.
Looking for a Refresher?
Here is just a partial list of some of our coverage of the creation of Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge over the past four years (each link opens in a new tab or window):
- Disneyland Resort Update for August 18-23, 2015 – includes reporting of the official announcement of the Star Wars-themed land coming to Disneyland and Disney's Hollywood Studios
- Star Wars Land Awakens – from August 20, 2015
- Star Wars Land expansion means hiatus for Disneyland Railroad, Fantasmic, and Rivers of America – from September 25, 2015
- Star Wars Land Details About to be Revealed Soon – from February 18, 2016
- Creating Immersion in Star Wars Land – from May 19, 2016
- New Disneyland Concept Art Revealed for Star Wars Land – from July 21, 2016
- Disneyland Resort Update for July 18–23, 2017 – includes D23 Expo announcements about the land and the display model
- Star Wars Galaxy's Edge: Park Possibilities and Movie Shakeups – from July 20, 2017
- Walt Disney World Resort Update for November 21–27, 2017 – includes the reveal of the name of the planet at Galaxy's Edge as Batuu
- Disney Parks Star Wars Special December 2017 Update for Both Coasts – from December 18, 2017
- Being In-Universe on Batuu at Star Wars Galaxy's Edge – from January 18, 2018
- It All Began with a Book: Galaxy's Edge Planet a Setting in New Star Wars Book – from April 19, 2018
- Walt Disney World Resort Update for May 30 – June 4, 2018 – includes project updates from Star Wars: Galactic Nights at Disney's Hollywood Studios
- Galaxy's Edge will be Your Star Wars Journey All-Day and All-Night – from July 19, 2018
- Star Wars Food and Drink coming to Galaxy's Edge? – from August 16, 2018
- 2019: A Rundown of Star Wars' Biggest Year – from January 17, 2019
- Project Stardust Brings More Changes to the Disneyland Resort – from March 28, 2019
- Get Your Boarding Pass to Batuu – from March 28, 2019
- Walt Disney World Resort Update for May 7–13, 2019 – includes interview with an Imagineer following an off-camera tour of Florida's Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge
- Face to face with the Falcon—my visit to Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge – Disneyland, from May 9, 2019