MousePlanetWatch Disney Newsby MouseStation Crew, staff writer
MouseStation 78 - MousePlanetWatch news
Run time 0:45:25
You can subscribe to MouseStation from the links at the bottom of this page, or via your favorite podcast aggregator. If you'd rather pop up our podcast radio player into a separate window so that you can continue browsing MousePlanet in this window, click here. (NOTE: Our podcast radio requires Adobe Flash Player. You can dowload the player here.)
Let us hear from you!
Send in your suggestions, comments or tips via our email feedback form or via voicemail on our toll-free feedback line (1-866-939-2278). You can also make suggestions by replying to this post.
If you want to contribute a story for our Monday Magical Moment segment (and possible inclusion in the Cast Place column here on MousePlanet), you can either use our email Magical Moment story form or the toll-free feedback line. (We love it when you use the voice mail system, because then we can play your call on the show!)
Walt Disney World News
- Walt Disney World has announced the lineup of events for New Year's Eve.
- Once again, Walt Disney World will be holding a promotion to let you have Mickey himself give your family the good news that they're going to Walt Disney World with a phone call on Christmas Day when you book a Walt Disney World vacation between November 23 and December 23.
- We editorialized a bit on the Old Key West DVC lease extension deal, based on the response that we received from DVC.
- The final conviction was just obtained in a child molestation case first publicly reported nearly three years ago, and which took place at Walt Disney World six years ago.
- Construction Updates:
- Construction permits have been filed for The Wave, the 40,000-plus square foot restaurant at the Contemporary Resort.
- The rear-projection screen at the American Adventure.
- Toy Story Mania work continues with the installation of Graphics Package I
- Several changes have been filed for Typhoon Lagoon.
- Quick takes:
- The manufacturer has recalled all bags of Minnie's Bake Shop Chocolate Chunk Cookies that were sold at the resort due to the fact that the packages had macadamia nuts in them when they weren't labeled as such.. The packages have been pulled from the shelves. However, if you think that you have bought these cookies, look for UPC number 400136148117. Please call 1-800-435-4499 for more information.
- Chocolate Chunk Cookies that were sold at the resort. Apparently, the cookies contain macadamia nuts. The cookies were available between September 18 and October 2. The packages have been pulled from the shelves. However, if you think that you have bought these cookies, look for UPC number 400136148117. Please call 1-800-435-4499 for more information.
- Val Bunting will be the replacement for Dr. Beth Stevens as Vice President for Disney's Animal Kingdom. Jackie Ogden, head of animal programs, is also getting a step up to a resort-wide position.
- Walt Disney Imagineering has hired Scott Trowbridge, the creative head of development for Universal Studios. Trowbridge will report directly to Bruce Vaughn and be in charge of Imaingeering R&D.
- The Fort Wilderness Segway tour has now been made public.
- Unsold copies of Thomas Kinkade's release of his painting of Cinderella Castle willl be available at Art of Disney locations.
This and other news can be found in this week's Walt Disney World Park Update.
- Lots of details were presented on the major reworking of the troubled Disney's California Adventure park. The complete Disney press release is here. The Orange County Register has a nice overview map of the areas to be rebuilt.
- Rumors are flying regarding possible Candlelight Processional dining packages being offered tyhrough Tickets.com.
- The SunCal-backed Committee to Protect and Defend Anaheim is collecting signatures to place their Anaheim Voter Empowerment initiative on the ballot this year.
- Disneyland's Holiday Time tour begins November 17 this year.
- Disneyland's new purchase-with-purchase offer features four holiday-inspired retro tin places. Photos of the plates are on the Disney Gallery web site.
- Much of MousePlanet's California-based contingent will be at Walt Disney World for the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 6.5K and 13K races this weekend, weather permitting. If you'll be there, be sure to stop by our post-race meet to say hi.
This and other news can be found in this week's Disneyland Park Update.
The Walt Disney Company News
- Disney is using the "World's Biggest Treasure Hunt" to promote the December 21 release of National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets.
- If you can't afford to go see the Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus concert tour in person, Disney will be releasing it as a Disney Digital 3-D movie.
- Touring with Hannah/Miley are the Jonas Brothers, who will be releasing a "Bonus Jonas Edition" of their debut Hollywood Records album next Tuesday, including two additional songs on the CD, plus an additional DVD with videos and concert footage.
- There's a bit of controversy being generated by the conservative media over asking Promenade Pictures to remove the words "chosen by God" from an ad for the movie "The Ten Commandments." While the media was up in arms about "removing God from a Bible story," it seems that the request was made because ad's wording was a bit confusing over who exactly was chosen by God, whether it was the voice actors or a character in the movie.
- Game pieces sold at Target stores earlier this year along with Cars-themed backpacks have been recalled due to magnets becoming detached and posing a hazard to small children.
- The Los Angeles Chapter of the American Jewish Committee honored Disney Studios chair Dick Cook with the Dorothy and Sherrill C. Corwin Human Relations Award for his professional and civic endeavors to help promote tolerance, understanding and cooperation.
- Firefly Mobile is now offering a free phone to Disney Mobile subscribers who switch to the service.
- A group of major media players released guidelines for protecting copyrights on user-generated content on sites such as MySpace. This is in conflict with the site-filtering technology recently announced by Google's YouTube subsidiary. Multiple standards rarely work, so we'll have to wait to see if this is an exception.
- Disney is celebrating the one-year anniversary of their Healthy Kids food initiative with spots on the Disney Channel and other venues.
- The Kirstie Kelley Disney bridal line has expanded again with the "Blossoms" line for flower girls.
- Roy Disney's latest activist-shareholder move comes against tax-preparer Jackson Hewitt.
- The New York Times is reporting that France is starting to warm to The Walt Disney Company, partly on the heels of Ratatouille.
- Disney has produced a new film for the U.S. State Department to show at Customs for all arriving international tourists. It includes a remixed/rearranged version of the Illuminations soundtrack.
- Disney has placed three movies in the top ten at the box office this past weekend, with The Game Plan holding on in third place, Miramax's Gone Baby Gone opening in sixth place and the rerelease of Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas in Disney Digital 3-D coming in at number eight.
You can send us feedback via email or by calling our toll-free feedback line at 1-866-939-2278. Don't forget that we love voicemails because then we can put your voice on the show!
Don't forget to send in your entry for our Owner's Locker contest by Halloween!
We also wanted to remind you that we have now scheduled our MouseFest meet for the podcasts. The MouseStation Hustle-tini Meet will begin at 5:30 p.m. at Classic Concoctions in the Everything Pop food court at Disney's Pop Century Resort for Bluetinis to get our nerve up to get up and boogie. We'll make sure that we're in the lobby before 6 p.m. so that we can do The Hustle, then return to Classic Concoctions or elsewhere to record some more for the podcast. For more information on the Hustle-tini or any other MousePlanet-sponsored meet at MouseFest, check out our MouseFest information page.
Please take a few minutes to complete our listener survey. It helps us learn more about you and what you like most about this podcast.
Don't forget to go to the iTunes podcast directory and give us a good rating for the combined feed!
Thanks to our West Coast correspondent Andrew Rich, and audio engineer and sound editor Steven Ng.
Thank you for listening!
Subscribe to the podcast